PDA

View Full Version : turbo tuning

lt1monte
09-19-2008, 09:08 PM
not sure if this belongs here or in the forced induction section, but what are turbo guys doing for tuning? I just want to run a mild (5-6 lbs) turbo setup on a stock internal motor, but not if it requires use of megasquirt or some other aftermarket program. Can I tune for it with the stock pcm? If so, can I do it with obd2, or will I need to convert to obd1? Im thinking that the maf will be useless in a forced induction setup, which is why I am wondering how it would work.

thanks,
Devin

Fastbird
09-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Mild like that on a stock motor can be done with the stock ECM. There's been much bigger setups than that on a stock computer also. You should be fine just finding a good tuner who will correctly tune the car.

Tyler Wheat
09-20-2008, 09:57 AM
www.fastchip.com (http://www.fastchip.com) Ed's one of the best in the business

Alex94TAGT
09-20-2008, 11:08 AM
not sure if this belongs here or in the forced induction section, but what are turbo guys doing for tuning? I just want to run a mild (5-6 lbs) turbo setup on a stock internal motor, but not if it requires use of megasquirt or some other aftermarket program. Can I tune for it with the stock pcm? If so, can I do it with obd2, or will I need to convert to obd1? Im thinking that the maf will be useless in a forced induction setup, which is why I am wondering how it would work.

thanks,
Devin

I think the only way of running a turbo in this regard would be with the use of a boost-sensitive fuel pressure regulator (FMU), and you need a high-quality one. The problem with turbos is that their boost is not linear -- you can be in full boost at 3500rpm under load, so it's not possible to predict how much boost you'll have at any given time. It's for that reason that aftermarket engine management systems with boost-sensitive computers are used to control it.

Superchargers, on the other hand, are linear. The higher the engine RPM, the more boost is created. Much easier to tune for, even without the FMU's which are often unreliable.

Someone with more experience will have to delve further into it, but that's my simplistic understanding.

Twisted Z
09-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Now correct me if I am wrong here and it has been awhile since I was on the list but did they not finally come up with a 2 bar tune for the stock PCM?

Grr
09-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes there are a number of people running with a 2 bar SD system on the stock PCM. I am also working on this and it seems to be the way to go.

lt170chevelle
09-25-2008, 06:14 PM
yeah i am one of the many that will be venturing into the 2bar sd lta crowd.biggest things is a decent fuel sytem..atleast 42lb injectors and a 255 pump. as far as tuning , if you are doing it yourself then get some software and drop the timing and add fuel in the appropriate areas..then get a wideband and go from there on tuning. otherwise go with the tuner mentioned above..heard lots of happy customers from him. good luck