PDA

View Full Version : What kind of paint...

IronOutlaw
02-08-2009, 11:27 PM
do yall use to paint the back part of you camaro. I cant remember the name, im having a brain fart, but its the spot above the bumper and I want to paint it black, but not look shitty. Kind of like the berger panel on a transma but ln a camaro.

BLOWNDFIZ
02-09-2009, 08:42 AM
No Duplicolor!!!

If you must use rattle can's go with something from Eastwood or some Martin Senour TECNique spry cans from NAPA.

Summit has a new line of paint products, kind of semi-professional that look pretty tempting for basic projects.

Remember prep is key to a good job when painting anything.

IronOutlaw
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I dont have access to a sprayer so Im gonna try a can.
Im sure the local paint shop would do it for around 200 bucks, so Im definitly going spray can.

So, I will need to scuff it, clean it, prime, sand, clean, and spray the final coat?

Do i need to use a primer or is the paint good enough? Never done anything like this before and dont want to mess it up too bad, but the paint on the back of the car is cracked anyways so im not too worried about it.

BLOWNDFIZ
02-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I dont have access to a sprayer so Im gonna try a can.
Im sure the local paint shop would do it for around 200 bucks, so Im definitly going spray can.

So, I will need to scuff it, clean it, prime, sand, clean, and spray the final coat?

Do i need to use a primer or is the paint good enough? Never done anything like this before and dont want to mess it up too bad, but the paint on the back of the car is cracked anyways so im not too worried about it.

You will want to at minimum scuff the entire surface. It will be hard to get in the CAMARO lettering but just be sure you have an even dull appearance. If you don't get in the corners of the letters good then odds are the paint will end up lifting and peeling.

3M scuff pads (maroon) should be fine, though you could use some 600 or 800 wet/dry paper. The finer the better for scuffing though you need to get out all imperfections so when you say there is cracking that will show back up unless you go down to bare plastic. If you hit bare plastic anywhere you will want to spray that area with primer. If you don't go through the paint then you can just clean with a prep solvent, and paint over the original paint. If you have to use primer then it will be best to sand it smooth and clean again, then shoot with color.

Hope this helps!