PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got install tips for edelbrock headers?

Malice
09-12-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm installing some edelbrock shorties tommorrow. It's my first time working on an LT1. I've worked on 3.8 v6 camaro's extensively, but this is my first V8.

Are there any hints/tips/tricks that will make the install easier?

Adam
09-12-2008, 01:25 AM
I ran edelbrock shorty headers before my long tubes. You need to remove the belt, alternator, valve covers, then remove the stock exhaust manifolds.

Now is a perfect time to install new plugs. The rear two plugs are impossible to change with these headers. so install new plugs and delicately install the headers.

The edelbrock shorties will install from the top. Insert the two outer bolts in the headers and slide the gasket in.

As I recall I burnt about 3 sets of plug wires. Do yourself a favor and get some over the valve cover wires.

http://thunderracing.com/images/summaryimages/thunderracing/plugwirerouting.jpg
http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=vshop&vid=4&pcid=104

phantomzer0
09-12-2008, 01:41 AM
I ran edelbrock shorty headers before my long tubes. You need to remove the belt, alternator, valve covers, then remove the stock exhaust manifolds.

Now is a perfect time to install new plugs. The rear two plugs are impossible to change with these headers. so install new plugs and delicately install the headers.

The edelbrock shorties will install from the top. Insert the two outer bolts in the headers and slide the gasket in.

As I recall I burnt about 3 sets of plug wires. Do yourself a favor and get some over the valve cover wires.

http://thunderracing.com/images/summaryimages/thunderracing/plugwirerouting.jpg
http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=vshop&vid=4&pcid=104

MSD actually offers a very nice kit that comes in multiple colors. I got them from a racing store.

SoulReaver
09-12-2008, 03:23 AM
The biggest hint or help I can give you is that when you put in the passenger side header, take off the starter. It took me and my buddy literally 2 hours to figure that out. Also, jack the car up really fucking high, and I certainly do mean; fucking high.

The more space the better.

SoulReaver
09-12-2008, 03:23 AM
MSD actually offers a very nice kit that comes in multiple colors. I got them from a racing store.

Finish Line Performance in Joliet, IL, to be exact.

Malice
09-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I used a lift at my base hobby shop. I got the stock stuff pulled out in about 3 hours. There were a couple things that were a PITA, but I overcame problems pretty readily.

THe AIR connections on top of the manifold were the hardest to get out. The nuts that hold them in actually warped when I tried to unscrew them.

WHile the exhaust is completely off, I'm think I'm gonna install valvesprings with the heads on the car. IT'll be easy to get compressed air into the cylinders with such easy access to the sparkplug holes.

I removed the alternator and starter before I even started. It made things go smoothly.

Malice
09-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, the headers were almost TOO easy to install. THey literally dropped right in.

But..... Holy crap........ The spark plugs are f'ing impossible to install. I spent half the day trying to get them back in. I'm def gonna make a shorty spark plug socket for them.

KissMyWhtSS
09-16-2008, 04:39 PM
They were a little tricky to install, and you don't need to remove the valve covers. IDK if you did or not.

BAd Dad
09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I never had any issues changing the plugs with these shorties.
My record was 28 minutes and change.
19 minutes with TPIS long tubes.

Adam
09-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, the headers were almost TOO easy to install. THey literally dropped right in.

But..... Holy crap........ The spark plugs are f'ing impossible to install. I spent half the day trying to get them back in. I'm def gonna make a shorty spark plug socket for them.

I told you man, the plugs are a pita on the passenger side.

VendettaV8
09-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Installing these headers was a PITA for me.... I think every install differs a little bit.

They wouldnt just drop in like you described we had to force them in and stuff... PITA PITA PITA....

Adam
09-20-2008, 07:13 PM
My edelbrock shorties just dropped in when i had them a while ago.