PDA

View Full Version : ZR1 Wheel Cleaning

LT1B4C
01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
From Daily Driving my car, My new ZR1 wheels that I bought about 6 months ago have developed break dust build up and some kind of white finish almost looks like waterspots on the spokes, and crevice’s. Soap and water didn’t work. I used Eagle One’s Aluminum Wheel Cleaner and that didn’t work. There’s just this black break dust build up and whitespots where the spoke meets the lip of the wheel.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what they did to fix it? And if this is some kind of damage to the wheels finsh that can't be fixed? The wheels are a Polished Aluminum Finish.

Thanks, John

Grr
01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
looks like it is damaged from neglect to me, it doesnt take long for that brake dust to eat into the finish. I would hit it with some good polish and alot of elbow grease. I wax my rims all the time so that doesnt happen

Standard-Z
01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
looks like it is damaged from neglect to me, it doesnt take long for that brake dust to eat into the finish. I would hit it with some good polish and alot of elbow grease. I wax my rims all the time so that doesnt happen

X2. 6 months way to long.And I to wax my rims. Of course mine are chrome.

LT1B4C
01-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Do you think the finish is ruined? Is there anyway i could get these to look the way they used to? Or at least close to new looking agian? I have some Aluminum Wheel polish that i use with a mothers polishing ball but i could only hit the big open parts of the wheel because the ball was to big, and i used to polish them in the summer and spring time, but since the winter hit all i do is wash them about twice a month. I havn't tried to polish them yet so i don't know if it will come out :doh:

Camaro_94
01-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I'd try to find some good polish. Would probibly make it look a little better at least, or less noticable.

LT1B4C
01-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Hmm, I really hope i didn't ruin these wheels! I just Got these darn things! :no:

BLOWNDFIZ
01-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Get a Mothers Powerball, and their Power Metal Polish. Follow that up with a hand application of Mothers Billet Polish.

I prefer the mini powerball.

LT1B4C
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the tips guy's. Im going to try and polish them here within a couple of days. I'll post pic's of the after.

purplt1
01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Get some polish on them soon,the longer you leave them like that the harder it will be to get off.I had the same problem on a set of weld wheels that i had.

KissMyWhtSS
01-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I wish I hadn't sold my gray ZR1s. The chrome is a PITA to keep clean when daily driving. Esp when you daily drive it through all weather (rain, etc) But yeah definately plan on polishing them a few times a year and always put a couple coats of wax on afterward to protect.

Milk Man
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
ill be getting my c5 z06 wheels polished the powdercoated with clear that way i never have to polish them again.

LT1B4C
01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Milk Man - that is a great Idea, I might look into that.

Eric - love the wheels on your car now in the sig. I think you made a wise dicision :-)

Purpllt1 - I'll get some polish on there soon and send some pic's for an update.

KissMyWhtSS
01-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Milk Man - that is a great Idea, I might look into that.

Eric - love the wheels on your car now in the sig. I think you made a wise dicision :-)

Purpllt1 - I'll get some polish on there soon and send some pic's for an update.I bought the car with the wheels in the sig. I took my old gray ZR1's off my '97 Z when I sold it then I decided to let them go about 6 mos later.

LT1B4C
01-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Well, I didn’t Get a chance to get to the wheels today, We just got about 6 inch's of snow. I think tomorrow I’m going to pull all four wheels off and bring them inside and let them warm up before I got to town with the polish. I’m going to get the Mini Power ball and some Aluminum Polish and have at it. Probably wax them when I’m done because that seems to be what everyone else is doing.

Thanks, John

purplt1
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
yep... throw a coat of wax on them after polishing to help protect them from water spots and ect...

LT1B4C
01-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Well here is the up date after hours of polishing I finally got them looking decent. This is a pic of them polished, Before the coat of wax.

BLOWNDFIZ
01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Nice job!:claps:

Looks great!

Cyanydem28
01-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I just cleaned my zr1s today. It adds soo much to the car when theyre all chromeyyy

LT1B4C
01-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Nice job!:claps:

Looks great!

Thanks brandon. Yeah it stinks, but from now on im going to be keeping up with it instead of leaving the break dust on there for a couple of weeks. Just got to throw on some wax and call it a day.

purplt1
01-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Looks like they tured out pretty good.Great job!

LT1B4C
01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks PurpleLT1, I'll get a pic on here once I get them on the car all cleaned up :-)

KissMyWhtSS
01-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I just cleaned my zr1s today. It adds soo much to the car when theyre all chromeyyy
I love when mine are chromeyyy.