PDA

View Full Version : electrical issues

30thSSclone
02-18-2014, 01:25 PM
OK. Guy called me last night about my roller, after talking g to him for 25 minutes, we were talking about an issue he is having with his car.

He got it a while ago, the keys were lost in a house fire, so the person he got it from put in a general cylinder and key...of course VATS doesn't agree and is going to lock it out.

So he went to the dealership and had the VIN looked up and had a key cut and a new cylinder made with the right ohm chip put in.

Now, it is a 93 camaro, with a GM rebuilt 95 LT1 and 4L60E. And it still doesn't start. Starter doesn't do anything and fuel pump isn't turning on.

He can jump the starter and pump so that both turn on.

So obviously it has something to do with VATS. Here are my 2 guesses, the wires in the stereo g column are broken for the chip, so its not reading any ohms. You can probably solder in a resistor and get it to run.

But my other guess is a wild one. With it being a 4L60E and a 93 computer, would that trick VATS since its the wrong transmission? And that might be locking it out.

I printed off a bunch of sheets of wiring diagrams today of starting system, fuel system, and anti theft system. He said he is about to take it to a ship and pay $700 to have them fix it since he isn't good at electrical. But he said if I come over and fix it he would give me $400.

Car is no crank, no fuel

firebird_1995
02-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Has it ever ran with that engine/trans setup? What year ecm is he running?

30thSSclone
02-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Has it ever ran with that engine/trans setup? What year ecm is he running?he said he has gotten it to start by hot wiring the starter and fuel pump. And he said its a 93 computer

Injuneer
02-18-2014, 03:15 PM
What is the "SECURITY" light doing through all this?

Shoebox has a troubleshooting guide:

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

It indicates there is a unique flash timing to the "SECURITY" light when the key is not being read, due to a short or open in the circuit:

If the sensing contact circuit is open or shorted (cannot read the key) or a defective key is used at the time the ignition is turned ON, the SECURITY lamp will flash at a rate of once per second and the engine will not start. No three minute lockout will begin.

30thSSclone
02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
He said that the security light is off. But I haven't seen it for my self though

firebird_1995
02-18-2014, 04:31 PM
My followup question would be, does the security light illuminate at key on engine off....

30thSSclone
02-18-2014, 04:36 PM
My followup question would be, does the security light illuminate at key on engine off....that I don't know. I'm trying to set up a time Sunday to go look at it

Fastbird
02-18-2014, 04:41 PM
If the VATS module itself takes a dump, it won't give any indicators at times. Knightfire (an OLD SpeedDensity.org member) had that happen at a Dyno Day I ran back in like 2005. Was driving car and it just shut off and wouldn't start. He ended up with something like a $300 tow home and had to REALLY dig at the troubleshooting to figure it out.