PDA

View Full Version : transmission removal

geoman
10-22-2008, 04:45 PM
I need to remove the a4 transmission to put some new seal is in it. I have heard the top bellhosusing bolt are a pain. Any tips and tricks to this? I have heard some swivels and extensions are needed..lol Can I reach down behind the top of the motor and get to them from there or no?

Thanks
Mike

grn95t/a
10-22-2008, 04:54 PM
the top left one is abit tight, take the bolts out of the cross member and lower the back end of the trans to get more room. and if you have a long prybar you can bend the floorpan a touch too. that really works great. did that on mine and now its gravy.

YZF
10-22-2008, 06:07 PM
I had the car in the air and with a swivel, a 36" extension and some anger... I got the top bolts out.I don't see how it would even be possible to come from the top side...

joelster
10-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Try it like this if you don't have a long enough extension..........Remove the rear tranny crossmember, driveshaft, etc.. Let the rear-end of the tranny hang down as far as you can. Now climb up on top of the motor and get the top 2 bolts. There will be enough room to easily fit your hand/arm over the back of the intake and down onto the bellhousing, but you'll have to do it by feel. A short wrench is all you will need. Once you get a few turns out of it, they will come out by hand.

geoman
10-23-2008, 08:46 AM
I will be tackling this tonight and through the weekend.

I need to replace the front pump seal on the trans. I might have someone rebuild it for me and get it back in ASAP.

By dropping the rear of the tranny down like that, it wont hurt the motor mounts will it (due to all the weight)?

Thanks again guys.

Mike

joelster
10-23-2008, 07:20 PM
No it won't hurt anything. You may have to unhook your headers too to get it to angle down far enough.

geoman
10-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the input guys....helps when tackling a project like this. I just have the stock exhaust right now as I just bought the car about 2-3 weeks ago.

Last night, I unhooked the torque arm, shifter linkage, floor support brace, wiring, and flywheel bolts.

Tonight, the trans gets drained, ds yanked out and start removing the bolts from the bellhousing.

Going to try and get the front end high in the air and drop it down.....hopefully it will slide out. damn car sits too low..lol

Thanks
Mike

Fixxer99TA
10-25-2008, 03:28 PM
damn car sits too low..lol

Thanks
Mike

You aint shittin.

Tyler Wheat
10-25-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't know how much (if any) different the top 2 bellhousing bolts are compared to an M6.

On my car, I use a ton of extensions and a swivel. If you take some electrical tape and wrap it around the wobble. This allows a little play, but its not totally loose like it would be without it. It's alot easier to maneuver onto those top 2 bolts. That's the easiest way I have found to do them.

I've taken them out from the top. I didn't really like that near as much. It was a PITA to get the bolts broken loose for me. It was really easy to get the wrench onto the bolts, however. My problem was getting the bolts broke loose with no leverage. Tried the 2 wrench cheater trick and that finally got it. Not worth the hassle, IMO. I still like the swivel method.

My .02

geoman
10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I was able to get the trans low enough and added about 10,000 extensions to those top bolts. use my breaker bar and they are off now. Trans is off and sitting on the ground. I just need to jack the car up a little higher to slide it out. Had to remove half the damn car to get it off..lol

I have a leak somewhere in the front, I am hoping its a pump seal and not the o-ring around the pump. I need to cap the tranny and put some fluid in it, because it was pouring from the front when I bought it. :)

The saga continues.