PDA

View Full Version : twin screw or roots for LTx cars???

Captain Dirtymax
04-14-2010, 09:16 PM
hey guys, i've been kinda looking around for a twin screw or roots style blower for the LT1. so far i've found nothing. is there even one out there that's meant for the LTx??? it would be kinda nice to have that on my LT1 for auto-x.:drool:

popo8
04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I know there is a guy that was experimenting with Jag blowers before, Ive seen it a million times but cant find it now.....

94Blackbird
04-14-2010, 09:38 PM
If you want to find the article, I believe High Performance Pontiac did an article on a couple prototype trans ams in the early 90's. One was a supercharged V6, and the other was a supercharged baby LT1 they did as concepts for if GM decided to ditch the 5.7. And the one guy I remember seeing having done something like this went by the name cornell or something like that, and last anyone heard he was working on squeezing a 2.3 whipple charger. I think. Don't quote me, it's been awhile.
Oh, something else I remember seeing in a magazine, a company called dragon racing is supposed to have a set up for sale. I haven't seen any good pics of it, but it was in one of GHTP's guides not too long ago.

KissMyWhtSS
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Anything's doable with the right amount of money and the desire, but it's much easier and cost effective to go with a centrifugal supercharger. Any reason you want a roots/twin screw?

Bigbadwhitey
04-14-2010, 11:55 PM
A guy on LS1 tech up here in canada is developing intake manifolds to work with most top mount superchargers. No idea whem hes gunna be done though, he had a couple built.

Chris
04-15-2010, 09:40 AM
^^^ This Hopefully By the end of the summer last time I looked.

Bigbadwhitey
04-15-2010, 03:29 PM
he was sending out email updates? any idea what happened with those? i havent got anything in a while.

Z28pr0jekt
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM
There have been only a handful of people that did this to lt1s... mainly because it's not worthwhile

Alvin @ pcmforless is one of those people if you want to contact him, shoot him an email but he is often busy so he might take a bit to get back to you

Captain Dirtymax
04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Anything's doable with the right amount of money and the desire, but it's much easier and cost effective to go with a centrifugal supercharger. Any reason you want a roots/twin screw?

auto-x. having the instant low end torque is a godsend in auto-x racing. yes a centri will make more power up top, but power under the curve is what i'm looking at.

Z28pr0jekt
04-15-2010, 03:42 PM
auto-x. having the instant low end torque is a godsend in auto-x racing. yes a centri will make more power up top, but power under the curve is what i'm looking at.
not good for auto-x.

These blowers heatsoak the engine like crazy after constant running like that, hence why many cobra/gtp owners end up with water-air intercoolers.. then you gotta always have ice and shit around.

Captain Dirtymax
04-15-2010, 04:40 PM
not road racing. auto-x, like cones in a parking lot. it's not constant WOT. most of the course designs i've run have usually taken about 70-90 seconds for the old 3.1 RS. the LT1 would get around a lot faster:secret:

CALL911
04-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Twin screw or roots huh? Boy you are asking which is better when they are both the worst bottom of the line least efficient superchargers available. I would strongly urge you to look at a centripital style blowers like ATI or Vortec. The only thing the roots would have over it is more low end, but with the heat soaking, and limited power curve the others give you, they are simpy not good choices (probably a good reason its hard to even find them).

Most efficient FI would be a turbo. Then I would go with a Procharger, then as a last choice perhaps one of the two you were asking about. You asked for opinions, so there was mine.

Captain Dirtymax
04-22-2010, 09:48 PM
not good for auto-x.

These blowers heatsoak the engine like crazy after constant running like that, hence why many cobra/gtp owners end up with water-air intercoolers.. then you gotta always have ice and shit around.

that why one of the guys i run with has a GT500 on a 2.8 KB making a little over 650rwhp and never heat soaks???

Twin screw or roots huh? Boy you are asking which is better when they are both the worst bottom of the line least efficient superchargers available. I would strongly urge you to look at a centripital style blowers like ATI or Vortec. The only thing the roots would have over it is more low end, but with the heat soaking, and limited power curve the others give you, they are simpy not good choices (probably a good reason its hard to even find them).

Most efficient FI would be a turbo. Then I would go with a Procharger, then as a last choice perhaps one of the two you were asking about. You asked for opinions, so there was mine.

that's the whole reason i asked about it. auto-x racing, short lower speed courses where i would be coming out of a corner at around 2k rpm 90% of the time.

CALL911
04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
that's the whole reason i asked about it. auto-x racing, short lower speed courses where i would be coming out of a corner at around 2k rpm 90% of the time.

Thats even more reason you don't want the power curve to be like that at that time. If you are set on getting a twin screw or roots setup, then there is no point in asking others.

RealQuick
04-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Twin screw or roots are pretty much instant boost at any rpm.

If you are coming out of turns at 2k, then you aren't pushing your car thru the turns... should be able to be atleast around 3-3500rpm... I'd say slap on the centrifugal with a front mount IC because you won't see the heatsoaking that alot of the roots/screw guys see.

Z28pr0jekt
04-23-2010, 01:21 PM
that why one of the guys i run with has a GT500 on a 2.8 KB making a little over 650rwhp and never heat soaks???

I was thinking road racing not auto-x. And I've seen cobra's get heatsoaked at 1/4 mile tracks so I still don't think my concept is wrong

CALL911
04-23-2010, 01:59 PM
I was thinking road racing not auto-x. And I've seen cobra's get heatsoaked at 1/4 mile tracks so I still don't think my concept is wrong

It's not. I have known MULTIPLE Mustang and Cobra guys running Roots/twin screw, Kenny Bell, Whipple ect. who all have heat soak issues after just one or two WOT runs. Imagine doing WOT for a auto-x or road course. It's gonna be a heat soat monster.

Not to take this thread a scew, but along the same lines, here is a run between a buddy and me with his Whipple Cobra vs my Camaro. We had to wait like 30 minutes in between the runs to let his Whipple "cool off" as it was heat soaking and he said it would have been "much slower" if we ran back to back runs.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/supercharged-z28-vs-03-cobra_164737.htm

RealQuick
04-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Heat soak is a common issue with those vehicles.