PDA

View Full Version : stock lt1

dakota
01-26-2010, 07:53 PM
can the stock lt1 handle any boost at all with out forged stuff?

jaysz2893
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
4.5 Lbs on stock safley . I have seen 6+ Lbs on a stocker but the ringlands tend to blow first..

Fastbird
01-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, the hypercraptastic pistons they used are the definitive weak point in the LT1's. I wouldn't go very much, maybe 6 lbs on a VERY safe tune.

Jose93z28
01-26-2010, 09:09 PM
I would say 4.5 max as well, I blew a head gasket on 6psi even with a safe tune, I had 30# injectors and one walbro fuel pump, but maybe that wasn't enough, oh and I had stock replacement head gaskets.

popo8
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Im with these guys... even Procharger claims 6 lbs would be safe. The car I used as my donor came apart with that and it was stock motor'd

94Blackbird
01-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Sorry, little off topic but related, how much abuse would the stock rods/crank take, assuming upgrading to forged pistons?

Z28pr0jekt
01-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Sorry, little off topic but related, how much abuse would the stock rods/crank take, assuming upgrading to forged pistons?
Throw in ARP rod bolts and have the crank cleaned and I'd be comfortable with 450-500rwhp. Some may say over 500 on the crank but I play it a bit safe with that stuff

dakota
01-27-2010, 02:57 PM
how much power we talkin' on 4.5 lbs ?

94Blackbird
01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
That's what mine's making right now, and it put down 336/346 hp/tq at the wheels on the dyno. I think my tune is messed up though, I only get about 12-13 mpg cruising the highway in 6th gear. I think there's a little more in it, and I'm going to take it to another shop in the near future to get it retuned once I get everything repaired.
I haven't gotten into the car too much just yet, its still pretty much the way the guy I bought it from had it set up, but from what I can tell by looking under the hood, I have a Az Speed and Marine throttlebody, Long tube headers, MSD ignition, upgraded fueling, cat back exhaust and its putting the power down through a stock drivetrain.
Alright, thanks for the tip. I'm only really looking for 450-500 whp max anyways.

FirebirdFury
01-29-2010, 10:55 AM
from what i hear poweer is addictive....;)

94Blackbird
01-29-2010, 11:00 AM
from what i hear poweer is addictive....;)

Power = money. Me = No money. Some day in the distant future when me = money, I can + power.
But you are right, it is addicting. Too bad I don't have the means to get a bigger fix!

FirebirdFury
01-30-2010, 05:32 AM
i get the no money thing, I have had a p600b in my garage for a year now b/c of the sme situation. but come tax return im getting a forged shortblock.....:cool:

94Blackbird
01-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Cool! How many cubes?

MoeHorsePower
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Generally on a stock LT1, I keep them down to the upper 390 RWHP to low 400 RWHP, I just did a supercharged LT1 with all bolt ons, stock gears (342) stick car and a set of LE heads, At 7lbs it made 417 RWHP with a safe tune. It made more but I cut him back. When you are used to a stock LT1, (app 250-265 RWHP) then go to 400 RWHP, it's a big jump in performance...Needless to say the customer was very excited...

Chris
02-15-2010, 09:14 AM
You sound like a bartender Moe. Just had to cut the guy off huh : p

MoeHorsePower
02-15-2010, 10:16 AM
You sound like a bartender Moe. Just had to cut the guy off huh : p

LOL, Yup, Just like alky, when you start feeling good you want more, Just like horsepower, you feel it, you want more....

Bigbadwhitey
03-15-2010, 01:49 AM
Moe how much did that build cost? Im looking at having a motor built to run 7~8 psi, and make around 450 wheel horse, and not blow up. So forged bottom end and all, how much do you think you could build one for?

MoeHorsePower
03-15-2010, 07:33 AM
I think a complete kit for like a P1/D1 is around 4,000-5,000, Call Bob at EPP and I'm sure he can help you out..

Bigbadwhitey
03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
What is the contact info for EPP, or who is EPP? Never heard of them, sorry!

CALL911
03-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Just do a google search on EPP and you'll find all their new info (recently changed names, websites, and location).

I'll give you the skinny on FI.

FI sections on varios F-body boards don't usually go a month without someone coming in wondering how much boost the stock motor can take, or how cheep they can get away with safe boost. The simple answer is you can't put boost on something and have it be safe without dropping some serious money. What is serious money you ask, well I built mine bullet proof and I've easily got $10,000 just in the engine alone (thats not including the thousands the supercharger costs, or all the supporting items like fuel system, intercooler, ect.).

If you want to keep it safe on a stock motor, 4 pounds is about the limit, and even then, 4 pounds is hardly anything, and you'll still be out thousands on the supercharger and fuel system alone just to give you a slight power increase. Not really cost efficient power. You'd be better off just doing a heads cam and intake setup for less and better gains. Or if thats not enough, there are ways to cheat death slightly better on the N20 side without spending the big money FI forces you to.

If you want 400+ RWHP boosted and safely, you're still gonna spend big money to make it safe. IMO, the only way to go boosted is to do it safe. Otherwise sooner or later (and it usually ends up SOONER) your going to need a rebuild, and then your talking even more big money. Better to do it once and do it right. Then you can sit back, enjoy the boost and big power knowing that your setup will last just as long as a N/A setup will. But be prepared to spend a lot. Theres more to it than just the motor and what it can handle. You still have all the supporting mods as mentioned earlier, plus a good tune, a rear that won't snap into pieces, and if you want to actually be able to use the power at all, then some serious suspension. You can easily see how this can often turn into a $20,000+ project to do it right. Thats why you don't see TONS of boosted F-bodies. It's not that many don't want to, its simply that most can't afford to.