Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Dang. Thanks for the advice fellas. So basically the best bet is to keep all smog equipment which I plan on doing. LT's would pass the sniffer maybe with a decent tune...but fail the visual depending on where I go. I will just assume 99.9% will fail me for the visual If I had LT's even if I retained cats + all other smog equipment. Another option is to possibly get a small cam. Doesn't LE do a custom grind to those specs. Basically a smog legal grind he does for Cali folk? I have to reconsider my options here. I do want to go with the x pipe set up still maybe just scratch the LT's. But that's another issue if I don't have the exhaust run all the way back. I'm sure a dumped exhaust would also warrant a failed visual. Damn you Cali...

Guess I need a new parts list. LT's every two years does sound like a pain in the ass. And no one makes mids anymore. I kept hearing that AS&M's mids were the best or closest to LT's in performance and design..MAC would be good too but who knows where to find these anymore. Just used ones I guess. Hmm plus I would need some smog legal cats with a CARB number im sure. I don't even think high flows will cut it. Decisions decisions. I appreciate all the help. Let me put this out there. All I really want is a fun street toy/weekend warrior say close to 330rwhp. I need some parts to get me there while remaining smog friendly. That's bolt ons a small cam and a tune. Bolt ons being my suspension which is almost done need lca's plus relos and a phb. That's to get it to hook. And the exhaust situation to figure out what headers brand cats brand etc. Ditch the 2.5" x pipe with powersticks (which I think would sound pretty damm good) for a catback or run the x anyways with proper clearance and to the back. Ls1 type lid...plus some other stuff. Idk sorry for the long post lol im about to head to work so i wanted to get everything out now so hopefully I get some responses to most of my questions by the end of the day. Can't be on my phone while trying to sell furniture lol thanks guys!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SJx408; 01-26-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Arctic White 1996 Z28. Stock internal LT1, CAI, LM1, MGW Shifter, 3.73's, some suspension junk, and shiny salad shooters (retired). Forgestar F14's 18x10 on all 4. Fun stuff coming soon. Also, Cali smog regulations suck...period. **Insert witty quote here** LT1FTW that is all. Have a nice day.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jonathan Englund
    Vehicle
    1994 z28/1994 formula

BBK headers are smog legal as I recall...
    94' Z28 A4 black: turbo build in progress
    94' Formula A4 red: 355, 11.5:1cr, LE 231/239 cam, comp promags, lpp's, Yank stall, 3:42's, Solomon tune
    07' Impala A4: 180000 miles of stockness

Moderator | Founding Member

Status
    Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Pacesetter, Edelbrock and BBK also make CA legal headers that are considered mids. Two of those are still found readily. As for the cats, you don't have much choice there either. Magnaflow makes a universal 50 state cat as well as a more expensive option with the whole cat/y-pipe assembly. The cost in general is outrageous for a 50 state cat compared to every other option.
    [ Nick ]
    '94 Z. H/C/I with nearly every bolt on known to the f-body owner.

[ Album | FQuick ]

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

I was under the assumption that those smog legal headers were "shorties" more so than "mids" but I could be wrong. The age old battle LT's vs Mids has been discussed time and time again. I have read up on plenty of threads and I will be okay goin with a mid. Cats like McCauley said are gonna be pretty limited. I have to read into the magnaflow cats to see what the 50 state legal headers are all about. Maybe you get a carb sticker like K&N and other various aftermarket part manufacturers give in order to run the part. I'm gonna read up on the smog regulations and really get polished up on the facts. Ultimately I want to have a setup that gives moderate power N/A no bottles or FI. College kid with 2 jobs and a budget here lol. Its gotta be pretty reliable I do enjoy cruising with the car club out to the valley or up north to the city SF etc. But this wont be a daily driver anymore. My 93 Toyota pickup is the new daily. I feel like the smog legal cam plus the bolt ons x pipe for exhaust should do the trick. And a decent tune. That's up for debate tho. Idk where to go in that area. I have a few things to look into

Arctic White 1996 Z28. Stock internal LT1, CAI, LM1, MGW Shifter, 3.73's, some suspension junk, and shiny salad shooters (retired). Forgestar F14's 18x10 on all 4. Fun stuff coming soon. Also, Cali smog regulations suck...period. **Insert witty quote here** LT1FTW that is all. Have a nice day.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Thank you guys for the feedback thus far!

Moderator | Founding Member

Status
    Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

I'm basically in the same boat. My Z is no longer a DD so I am pushing the limits of smog legality more. If you were looking at a mail order tune, these are the ones to consider:
    @sweet-94z28 (LTXtech), Solomon (lt1pcmtuning), Bryan Herter (pcmforless), Moe Bailey (MoeHorsepower), Ed Wright (Fastchip) and MadTuner.
    [ Nick ]
    '94 Z. H/C/I with nearly every bolt on known to the f-body owner.

[ Album | FQuick ]

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Alright. So I guess im gonna go with a new exhaust setup which was primarily what this thread was about. So i can retain smog legality and i dont have to worry about changing my exhaust every two years and also so i dont have to worry about getting harassed by da Popo. I will focus on a small build and refresh of my old LT1 with a new smog legal cam probably a custom grind from LE and stick to bolt ons. I dont think my budget will allow for head work. I will see. But a stout 330-350rwhp cam only LT1 car sounds pretty fun. Plus it will be smog legal. Most guys around here put LT's on use em for two years and instead of pullin em off just sell the whole car when it comes time to smog. Then someone else gets to deal with the headache.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Hope I can give my buddy a good run for his money. Ls1 M6 Formula with just a SLP Lid vs a soon to be full bolt on LT1. Either way LTx with an xpipe dumped should sound godly. Lol I just want to slap on my new exhaust.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SJx408 For This Post:

MAD ABOUT LTX's

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 1970 Firebird Espirit, 1972 Camaro Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by SJx408 View Post
    Hope I can give my buddy a good run for his money. Ls1 M6 Formula with just a SLP Lid vs a soon to be full bolt on LT1. Either way LTx with an xpipe dumped should sound godly. Lol I just want to slap on my new exhaust.

Your friend might be in for quite a surprise!
    Post up what happens and I for one look forward to hearing all about it.
    If you don't stand behind our MIlitary then feel free to stand in front of them. <---- This is my oldest son (PROUD DAD HERE) Mike (just plain mad) Madman337 1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 all stock other than a muffler and LCAs @292K+ miles. 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. 1972 Camaro, 1994 Corvette, ​17 Fusion Sport AWD V6 Twin Turbo

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Most definitely I will. It may not happen until mid summer. But it should be fun either way. The Z may see a trip to Sonoma raceway as well. I'll have to wait and see. LTx FTW

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SJx408 For This Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast