Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Ken Cemo
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Default It feels like someone is turning the key off and on...Help Anyone?

Replaced Opti with the Torq Head 24x. Before this I had issues with misfiring intermittently after 10 minutes of warming up. NOW...This is not a misfire. Car runs great and idles ok but every once in awhile (or sometimes more often it) engine will turn off for a second and then back on. It will do this over and over and then run great again. It does not stumble or misfire or run rich....it is just like someone turned the ignition off for a second or split second. The gauges do not turn off and their is no engine codes to indicate anything is wrong.

This is all after I had it in the shop and installed the Torq Head 24x complete kit, mass air flow sensor, battery, new spark plugs, and they are still scratching their heads. Wiring seems to be the culprit but we cannot seem to pinpoint the problem. Anyone else have this problem?

Ken
    1997 Arctic White Camaro SS 6speed
    55,000 miles, 383, Comp Cam hydraulic full roller 07-502, Bosch 30 lb injectors, PaceSetter Headers

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by kencemo View Post
    Replaced Opti with the Torq Head 24x. Before this I had issues with misfiring intermittently after 10 minutes of warming up. NOW...This is not a misfire. Car runs great and idles ok but every once in awhile (or sometimes more often it) engine will turn off for a second and then back on. It will do this over and over and then run great again. It does not stumble or misfire or run rich....it is just like someone turned the ignition off for a second or split second. The gauges do not turn off and their is no engine codes to indicate anything is wrong.

This is all after I had it in the shop and installed the Torq Head 24x complete kit, mass air flow sensor, battery, new spark plugs, and they are still scratching their heads. Wiring seems to be the culprit but we cannot seem to pinpoint the problem. Anyone else have this problem?

Ken
    1997 Arctic White Camaro SS 6speed
    55,000 miles, 383, Comp Cam hydraulic full roller 07-502, Bosch 30 lb injectors, PaceSetter Headers
    Did u try putting a scanner on it to see what is actually dying LIVE when it is happening?

LTXtech.com is my drug...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Have you checked the harness going into the back of the PCM? I swapped the (411) PCM in my truck once and it started doing weird things like that - the plug wasn't quite seated perfectly in the back of the PCM even though the bolt was snugged down. I just wiggled it around and pushed it in a bit more and it solved the issue.
    1995 Firebird Formula, M6, ram-air, C7 hubs, BMR/Strano/Founders/Koni suspension, bolt-ons, Recaros, 315 Nankang AR-1's
    2010 Corvette Grand Sport, A6, Kooks/Halltech, 418 rwhp
    1966 Mustang 289-2V, auto, factory original

>$25K Build Club Ambassador

Status
    Name
    Brett
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28, 1927 LTX Ford Roadster

Did you get this resolved @kencemo ? I'd suggest what rentedmule said as well as checking the actual PCM itself. I had an issue with my car when I went 24x - suddenly I got a code for knock sensor circuit, turns out the PCM's 5V supply out to the pin for the knock sensor harness had failed - time for a new PCM and haven't had an issue since.
    The PCM itself can often be overlooked...
    '97 Z28...Sleeper 648 RWHP 585 TQ - Speed INC Tuned! 383, F1A, blah blah

Current Project: 1927 Model T Roadster - LTX/M6 Powerplant!
    Build Thread: http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...oadster-Build!

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Ken Cemo
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

As it turned out the problem had nothing to do with the Opti-Spark in the first place nor the PCM. IT WAS THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR. And when I tested it statically on the car it did not show an issue. It was only when I did an R&R and extensive road testing (remember this was an intermittent problem) did I figure out this solved the problem.
    Last edited by kencemo; 03-15-2019 at 07:09 PM.

>$25K Build Club Ambassador

Status
    Name
    Brett
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28, 1927 LTX Ford Roadster

Cool, glad you got it figured out. I know I was reviving an older thread, but thought it would be good to have the cause/solution documented for others in the future that may have the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    '97 Z28...Sleeper 648 RWHP 585 TQ - Speed INC Tuned! 383, F1A, blah blah

Current Project: 1927 Model T Roadster - LTX/M6 Powerplant!
    Build Thread: http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...oadster-Build!