Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Default Anyone fabbed there own true dual exhaust? Ground clearance? Or stick with single?

Just pondering a few ideas right now, I plan to build my own exhaust system (other than the headers). And I am serously considering doing a true dual setup.
    My only concern is ground clearnace, running both 2.5" pipes side by side how much ground clearnce is actually left with a lowered car? I plan to drop it about 1.5"
    Also if anyone has done this and it just want worth it over staying with a single pipe let me know.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

One approach - AS&M mid-lengths, modified to allow the driver side to go straight back, extensions on collectors, 3" Borla XR-1 mufflers, 3" pipe with turndown. Not driven much on the street, so I've never run into issues with speed bumps. Passenger side muffler is in the pocket for the stock cat. Driver side muffler is the potential issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

I would save your money and run a single with a nice flowing muffler. If you want all out, toss a cutout inline and you have best of both worlds.

Add up money and weight, bet the duals are not logical at your level.

All that aside, duals will sound nice if you get good muffler.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by fullforce View Post
    Just pondering a few ideas right now, I plan to build my own exhaust system (other than the headers). And I am serously considering doing a true dual setup.
    My only concern is ground clearnace, running both 2.5" pipes side by side how much ground clearnce is actually left with a lowered car? I plan to drop it about 1.5"
    Also if anyone has done this and it just want worth it over staying with a single pipe let me know.
    Tried that once, couldn't make it down my driveway. Better off running 3" catless y pipe to single 3.5 or 4" mufflex style, or just buy the kooks true dual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

I know I don't need and probably never will need the flow, just doing it for sound mainly. I was looking into the hooked dual exaust and maybe doing a copy of that but I don't know if it will be worth it. I guess I should stop wanting my car to sound like a corvette lol

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

personally I would do a single with a cutout
    94 Z28 - 396 - TH400 - 9in - SLOW

9. The Following User Says Thank You to agenthol302 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Your car will never sound like a Corvette. I've seen many true dual builds on that "other" tech site, some went over the rear axle, some went under it. I'm sure they sound good and building it yourself will make you happy. Just do whatever makes you proud and is appealing to your ears.

Personally, I agree with @shownomercy - you'll save a lot of money just running a quality catback and Y pipe setup. I went with a Pypes catback, because I am tired of the same old Magnaflows, LM1/LM2, and Borlas in the world. It's raspy and obnoxious, but quality and built by a shop a little over an hour away from my house. I have about $1000 into my current exhaust setup, including a Doug's cutout. A simple cutout and decent catback (with tips included & no cutout) could potentially lower that significantly, especially if you can score a used system.

If you saw my CTS-V thread in the LSX Discussion subforum, you'll know that I have almost as much into my chinese headers as I do in my entire American-made 4th gen exhaust.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harner For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

I wonder how spintechs would sound. I loved em on my GTO
    94 Z28 - 396 - TH400 - 9in - SLOW

13. The Following User Says Thank You to agenthol302 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Check YouTube, I'm sure it's been done already and will sound good.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I ran a custom 3"-->4" Y-pipe, and a Mufflex 4" intermediate pipe, with the Flowmaster Race-Series single 4" in/single 4" out. After installing the Gear Vendors O/D the Y-pipe no longer fit. Removed the Mufflex cat-back, and installed the simple 3" straight pipes shown above. Saved about 40#. Interesting, dyno checked before and after, and no significant change in HP. Mufflex catback is great, but heavy.

Cut-outs can be a problem. Not sure if they still do it, but when I last raced at Englishtown, they would not permit open exhaust, except on Sundays. No cut-outs allowed. Had to have a muffler, and had to pass a dB meter check in tech, and on the track under full power. SLP held an annual customer appreciation event there, renting the track for Saturday, and when SLP took their LS1 test-mule out on the track with the cut-outs open, they were thrown off the track for exceeding noise limits. My Borla XR-1's were originally deemed legal (with a bit of head shaking/eye rolling by the tech inspector). But then they upped the rule to require that the muffler(s) have at least 4 baffles. No more trips to Englishtown.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast