Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Default Barney-Mobile 84 Z28

Sooooooooo......

My fiance and I had an agreement, we were not allowed to purchase any more cars for 3 years from October 19th 2019. This includes trade ins or anything else, not just projects. There was one or two ways around this, 1 being if the car found was purple, and 2, She was the purchaser. (shes only bought 2 really while ive been thru a bunch)

Dicking around on FB marketplace I found a purple 84 Z28 LG4 305 car (its really a sport, not a Z28, but ). Showed it to her, she yells at me (while smiling) that we dont have room, yada yada.

I had messaged the seller to get more pics and the "story" on it. I made it clear i just wanted info, wasnt really interested interested. I mean who REALLY wants a 84 hardtop Z28 with not even an H.O. 305! Only thing it had going for it was the purple paint. Mostly straight, all there. I didnt really want it that bad, wouldve rather found a Iroc or a 90-92 RS. But she did, bad. She has been hounding me to "Build my car right the first time" instead of doing the usual throw it together and be mad at it so.....

I was prepping to tell the guy we were passing on it, started typing a message and fell asleep. Next day she calls me and says "see if we can pick up that 84 on sunday". I almost fell out of my chair at work. Ok honey.

So yea, made it very clear this was her Vday gift.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Congrats... hopefully this does not slow down progress on ur 3rd gen...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Now, why might this thread be here on LtXTech? Well, thats where things get interesting.

A) shes not a hot rod car girl. She likes to just be able to jump in something and go. She doesnt want to have to deal with rough starting, vapor locking, 36 year old quadrajet issues.

B) the lg4 305 made 150 hp at the crank in 1984. our 2017 fiesta st makes 180 at the tires, her 2016 sonic 1.8l makes 170hp at the crank. both those cars have better 0-60 than the 84. even a stock lt1 will be enough for her

C) shes engaged to the idiot with an evil opti tattooed on his left calf. would cause tension if she kept it 305

We came up with a plan. put no more than a few hundo into the 305. if it runs, has oil pressure, and doesnt sound like a bag of hammers, we make it semi streetable so she can atleast enjoy it this summer, also work out the other bugs that come with a car last registered/driven in 1996.

I have a stock lower mile 93 engine from a friend on the way, as prep for the winter work. She went from keeping the lt1 stock, to now she wants it to sound like SSlowBoat did, so we will contact @NightTrain66 for a bumpstick.

Last edited by SSlowBoat; 02-17-2020 at 08:01 PM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

Was gonna say, whats the plan with it.

JY 5.3 twin turbos and a JY 80e would be fast.... and cheap..

Just sayin
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    Was gonna say, whats the plan with it.

JY 5.3 twin turbos and a JY 80e would be fast.... and cheap..

Just sayin
    Have access to a 4.8l ls/4l60e combo for 500, but it would probably need an engine rebuild. I pretty much have everything for an lt1 already, plus if i got real stingy, id fitech the lt1 and leave the 700r4 in it.

I priced out an ls swap this week, not super cheap for these cars. the headers alone are almost as much as she bought it for. atleast this car came with older edelbrock shorties/y pipe in the hatch which will work fine on a lt1.

Saturday me and @Ltconvert got it to fire on starter fluid. Yellow bad gas and a fuel pump leaking at the seams stopped us then. The plugs just looked sooted and the bores looked ok on the inspection camera. Cranking it over by hand it had audible compression.

Sunday changed fuel pump, added 5 gallon fresh gas, cranked her over and she fired, sounded cammed for a minute, but finally cleaned up after a few idgaf if it grenades revs.

Today checked the rockers for oil, hooked the old rad up (bad idea), got it running for a few mins (got some temp in it to see what the next odd noise was) and the quite possibly 1980's radiator suddenly became a driveway/garage antifreeze sprinkler. BUT IT DROVE OUT OF THE GARAGE AND BACK IN UNDER ITS OWN POWER! Id calm that a win. Then the passenger side front caliper siezed, and the choke kept engaging so i packed it in for today.

2021 Charger Scat 392

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

The one BAD thing so far about the whole car, is some how some way the rear shocks literally ripped out of the body. i crawled under the car to disconnect the rear hardline connection and blow out the lines of old gas. when i got under it far enough i could see the shocks were just laying there.

I have a trans am car for scrap that im going to cut this area out and bring the car to a buddy (same guy who built my old slp style 2otl exhaust and fixed my 94 floor) he said he will take care of it. If anything founders coilover kit welded in (last resort).

Edit: just realized i have two third gen camaros in my garage with solid dash pads, no cracks. I should play the lottery

2021 Charger Scat 392

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

Good luck with both builds. A few years ago, I almost got roped into a purple 3rd gen also. I still love the 3rd gens and miss my 91 RS, sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cathead For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Yeah good luck with the gen as well. You got me missing my 89 Formie

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 8 using Tapatalk

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Been trying to dope out issues with it this past weekend. Changed the rad and water pump, went to start it, got it running rough as hell (was waiting for the choke to take over, was really stumbling, sounding cammed) it stalled and flooded so bad when i pulled cyl 7 and cyl 8 plugs raw fuel came flowing out like i spilled a gallon of gas down the intake.

time for a new carb
    2021 Charger Scat 392

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

new carb/cap/rotor/plugs/wires/coil and rockauto reman carb. Fired right up, went up on choke fine, let it idle a minute, kicked it once, came right down to curb idle. played with the idle screw and set it about 700 for now, smoothed out nice.

i gotta get a timing light/vacuum gauge and really dial it in, its still fairly rich, but not terrible like it was. I am starting to swap in @Ltconvert old 3.42 trutrac 10 bolt this week, hope to have the shock mounts repaired by end of may, and then maybe get it on the street to see what else crops up.

We also started tearing her lt1 motor down over the past few weekends. yanked it from the firebird it was in, its a mexico reman. inside the motor so far is SPOTLESS. very surprised. had some intake gasket material in the intake valve on cylinder 4 that made it stick open when compression testing. but after tear down all valves appear straight.

first lt1 out of 9 or 10 stock lt1's ive had apart that has the powdered metal rods. they should be fine as shes not gonna be beating on it bad. just a hotcam and some 1.6 rockers, shortie headers, etc.

made her scrape tint while i did the mechanical stuff. 2 days later shes halfway done LOL

2021 Charger Scat 392

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast