Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lurker

Status

Default It's so hard to decide if I should sell my Z.

Just ranting here because I am frustrated as hell with myself. I haven't driven my Camaro in a year because I live in California and many years ago I new a guy who did "smogs". I put long tubes in and trashed the stock stuff. So now I don't know a guy because the state has been cracking down. It pains me to see it sit there everyday and collect dust and bird crap. My garage can't fit two cars at the moment because my Buick project isn't done yet. So the Camaro sits outside every day. The paint is getting trashed. Tires are rotting. Fuel is probably going bad. I have to drive a Honda every day which is the most boring car on the planet. Everytime I have the idea to put it back to stock, I just wonder how much is it going to cost me, and will it be as fun? Over the years I have acquired a couple sets of stock manifolds and a single cat Ypipe. My car was a dual cat car so I'm not sure if that would even work emission wise. Another option was to put two cats at the end of the collectors and hope to hell I can find a guy who would overlook the visual as long as it blows clean. And the last option I always come back to is sell it. I've owned it for about 10 years and love the crap out of it. It's been with me through a ton of stuff. I graduated with it, I took my now wife on our first date in it, smashed it and rebuilt it. The amount of a few grand that its worth would probably leave me feeling pretty crappy after it left. But I could use that money on Buick stuff. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH . End rant.

Find junkyard stock exhaust and add a cutout lol.

That sucks though. I live in Cali too but I'm installing long tubes anyway as well. YOLO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Is that all it would require... stock exhaust retured? If so... i say do just that. Put stock exhaust back on with a muffler and have fun. Or find some emissiom friendly headers and swap em out.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status

It's the exhaust, egr, a.i.r., and the tune. I got rid of all of it. Maybe I'm making a mountain out a mole hill here. Maybe a weekend of work if I start early.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Do u still have those removed items?

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

I may still have some of the stuff u need in the motor to my 95 donor.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

I'm in Cali as well. Just about to change my exhaust. Best idea is take a weekend throw the stock dual cat system on manifolds cats egr air everything and go make the sucker pass.

I'm planning ahead so I don't get stuck having to "know a guy". Have some pacesetter long tubes with emission fittings. 3 inch to 2.5 inch reducer that's going to be welded to the collector. Next comes part I'm debating on 2 bolt or 3 bolt flange. I'm thinking 2 bolt for clearance reasons ( I'm lowered about 2" all around ). Then come 2 CA approved carb certified cats with their respected flanges as well. The idea is to have a "test pipe" set up where I can put cats on an off as I please when smog time rolls around. Next I have a flow tech universal 2.5" X with built in cutouts (e cut out goes here) 2 Classic chambered mufflers bullet style to a CME exit. All emissions equipment is on the car with 2 cats and I'm hoping with a good tune I can pass the sniffer. Visual may be a bit iffy. The tech can either be cool or a dick about the visual and "cat location" as I take it any mod that moves cats from stock location is illegal thus rendering LTs an auto fail. I've been debating and planning way to long for what every one else in the nation doesn't have to think twice about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Arctic White 1996 Z28. Stock internal LT1, CAI, LM1, MGW Shifter, 3.73's, some suspension junk, and shiny salad shooters (retired). Forgestar F14's 18x10 on all 4. Fun stuff coming soon. Also, Cali smog regulations suck...period. **Insert witty quote here** LT1FTW that is all. Have a nice day.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Is this an annual thing for u guys? Is there a mileage exemption or anything as well

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Dave
    Vehicle
    1997 Z28

I grew up in SoCal but moved to TX in 2000. I live in an emissions county where I have to have air, EGR and cats. But I can have LT headers with custom exhaust including cats not in their original location. Who knows what the future will bring? In 7 years my car will be a classic that doesn't need any of that stuff anymore. At least that's the current law in Texas. I have a set of SLP shorty headers sitting in the garage, debating to stick those on with a new Stainless Works Y pipe to get rid of the original 18 year old exhaust. Or I may go with LT's. Not for another year yet. Maybe my dual cat original Y pipe, if complete, will be GOLD to anyone in CA in your predicament.

But you should've seen this coming. Years ago my dad used to stick on the smog equipment on his 73 Nova, take it in and get it inspected then go home and remove all of it. The car actually ran dirtier with all the emissions stuff on it than without but the government knows what's best. Now it's old enough to not ever need it again.

It'd be my guess most places wouldn't pass a single cat on a 96 or 97 but you never know. As it stands right now my car would pass CA testing, LOL. I'm sure you can still find the right parts. Might be more difficult in CA though. Even in TX it's hard to find a "good ol' boy" in the emissions counties that will look the other way and pass a non-passable car. They get caught, they get fined and lose their job and possibly get a criminal record. Scared straight, I guess. Other counties that don't require it you can get a crappy car passed as long as it runs and has brakes that work.

Either way it sucks being in your position. I tried to vote away crappy politicians (Boxer, Feinstein) but it didn't work. I moved when Gray-matter Davis was governor. You have it even worse now with Moon Beam Jerry Brown Redux. At least Gray Davis was worthless and an empty suit, Brown is destructive. I hope you can keep your car, get it registered and drive it again. BTW, Honda also makes boring motorcycles. Honda IS boring. I feel your pain.

1997 Z28 Z4C, M6 - CAI, MGW, 17" SS wheels, shorties/Stainless Works Y, Magnaflow, stock engine/tune.

Lurker

Status

In california it doesn't matter if your has a million miles or is 30yrs old. They use the 1975 cut off date rule. So if you have a 1976 and newer you must pass smog.
    @popo8
    Being that my car is obd1, it's every year now. I have a set of manifolds and a single cat ypipe. My car was a dual cat car stock, 1995 had dual cats in california. so I'm not sure if the single will pass. I'll go through my garage later but I remember throwing a lot of stuff away. If you have anything I need I'll for sure get it. I was just thinking that a custom cam with a good tune could get me back the power I lost putting stock manifolds back on.

Thanks for the good words everyone, I think back to stock exhaust is the best decision. Sell my car, what was I thinking?!
    Last edited by NoMoneyZ; 04-14-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast