Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status

Default Another 4l60e bites the dust. #4 for me in this car.

Driving home from work on Friday and decided to take a back road. Pulled around a corner and nailed the gas and got on the brake a little. RPMs instantly went up and hit the limiter, heard a loud bang, car shook and trans fluid spewed everywhere. Left a huge cloud of smoke and not from the tires. Limped it back home and let it sit. Popped the hood and found atf all over my new headers ceramic coating .
    Had to move the car so I could do some work in the garage and I put the car in reverse and it moved forward, neutral also forward, drive still drive, and park it loads up and wants to move but the parking pawl is holding it. I can't say I'm surprised, it's been without lockup in 4th for a long time and recently started banging the limiter before shifting. It was a stock trans that had low miles but I beat the hell out of it.
    Now it's time to put the "built" trans back in and see what happens. It's a performajunk stage 2 4l60e. This will be the third one of his transmissions. First one had an internal failure and would not move at all in any gear. Replaced under warranty less than a year of use, had to pay 400 shipping plus shop fees. Second one blew up "the beast" sun shell after about 6months I think. He basically told me to pound sand. Wanted 900 for rebuild plus shipping. Shortly after I started working at the GM dealer and me and the trans guy redid the trans and I never had the time to swap it back in. We'll see how it goes. Also using the performajunk torque converter which is ~3000rpm.

I'll get some pics of the carnage when I start pulling it this weekend.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

That's sounds like the previous performance builds the guy was not doing it right. I would talk with @Cahall he is a member hear and get rid of the torque converter and it get a new one. If you want to keep that one it needs to be cut and cleaned.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camaro96 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoneyZ View Post
    Driving home from work on Friday and decided to take a back road. Pulled around a corner and nailed the gas and got on the brake a little. RPMs instantly went up and hit the limiter, heard a loud bang, car shook and trans fluid spewed everywhere. Left a huge cloud of smoke and not from the tires. Limped it back home and let it sit. Popped the hood and found atf all over my new headers ceramic coating .
    Had to move the car so I could do some work in the garage and I put the car in reverse and it moved forward, neutral also forward, drive still drive, and park it loads up and wants to move but the parking pawl is holding it. I can't say I'm surprised, it's been without lockup in 4th for a long time and recently started banging the limiter before shifting. It was a stock trans that had low miles but I beat the hell out of it.
    Now it's time to put the "built" trans back in and see what happens. It's a performajunk stage 2 4l60e. This will be the third one of his transmissions. First one had an internal failure and would not move at all in any gear. Replaced under warranty less than a year of use, had to pay 400 shipping plus shop fees. Second one blew up "the beast" sun shell after about 6months I think. He basically told me to pound sand. Wanted 900 for rebuild plus shipping. Shortly after I started working at the GM dealer and me and the trans guy redid the trans and I never had the time to swap it back in. We'll see how it goes. Also using the performajunk torque converter which is ~3000rpm.

I'll get some pics of the carnage when I start pulling it this weekend.
    Stop screwing around with garbage and let frank do a build for ya with a pro torque converter. Trust me. @Cahall made my impala hit hard as hell, and its still working great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

CPT

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    Stop screwing around with garbage and let frank do a build for ya with a pro torque converter. Trust me. @Cahall made my impala hit hard as hell, and its still working great

Its true... same with my TA.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

Thanks for the support guys. @NoMoneyZ, your experience with Performabuilt is common. BTW, nobody has ever broken a REAL "Beast" sun shell. If there's anything I can help with, let me know. From the sound of what you're explaining, the forward clutches are so burnt that they've heat bonded themselves to the steels. This will cause them to not release. This is a common issue in earlier 4L60Es that used aluminum pistons in the input drum. The forward pistons were notorious for cracking. This is the reason why we use the upgraded steel pistons in our "Pro Race" and "UPR" builds and offer them as a $50 option on all units.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPT For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

@NoMoneyZ just for reference, if you ever have frank build yoi a trans and he asks you how hard you want it to shift on a scale of 1-10, 7 and above may cause whiplash

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    @NoMoneyZ just for reference, if you ever have frank build yoi a trans and he asks you how hard you want it to shift on a scale of 1-10, 7 and above may cause whiplash

Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CPT For This Post:

Lurker

Status

frank built my pro race trans and the thing is a beast going to the track tomorrow to put it through its paces. frank is the man. enough said

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowbandit For This Post:

Lurker

Status

I appreciate all the info and suggestions from everyone here, but at this point I'm going to go t56. I do not race the car like I use to and have been having an itch for autocross and canyon carving. I have pulled the blown up trans apart and the clutch set on the sprag is now a solid piece. Going to rebuild this and sell it. I have put the old performajunk back in. Well it's actually not performajunk anymore. I went through it with the trans guy at work and put it back together and it's been going solid. I did reuse the performajunk converter though.
    For anyone interested though here is the thread of when I pulled apart the second performajunk trans that the "beast" sunshell sheared the center out of itself. Pretty much everyone said they hadn't seen it happen but here it is. Judging by my experience, it wouldn't surprise me that performabuilt uses a subpar part.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-...east-died.html

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoneyZ View Post
    I appreciate all the info and suggestions from everyone here, but at this point I'm going to go t56. I do not race the car like I use to and have been having an itch for autocross and canyon carving. I have pulled the blown up trans apart and the clutch set on the sprag is now a solid piece. Going to rebuild this and sell it. I have put the old performajunk back in. Well it's actually not performajunk anymore. I went through it with the trans guy at work and put it back together and it's been going solid. I did reuse the performajunk converter though.
    For anyone interested though here is the thread of when I pulled apart the second performajunk trans that the "beast" sunshell sheared the center out of itself. Pretty much everyone said they hadn't seen it happen but here it is. Judging by my experience, it wouldn't surprise me that performabuilt uses a subpar part.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-...east-died.html
    Bet it wasnt a beast sunshell as they have been caught doing that before

2021 Charger Scat 392