Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

got the little 305 running much better yesterday. I have a friend we call Bobcat who has an 83 305 el-camino that is all original, factory e4me computer controlled quadrajet etc. He has all the tools to set up the carb and timing on these the right way, so he came over and lended a hand.

First thing was we found the timing was WAY out at idle. idling at 600rpm timing was reading 26 degrees advanced. no wonder it didnt like to start. we set the timing to 8 degrees advanced at idle and then found the car didnt want to run. Curiously he noticed the idle mixture solenoid on the carb wasnt clicking like its supposed to be. found no power (should be pulsed 12v key on), so basically the whole time we have been messing with it the computer was not controlling the carb or dizzy. Found a wire someone had "repaired" at some point in time was shorting on the valve cover and blew the fuse for the pcm (old school, every sensor is powere off 1 10amp fuse including pcm). Repaired that, installed a fuse, car instantly started better. set up the mixture control solenoid and the idle mixture needles, and now the car fires off with a light touch of the key (hot, cold, dont matter).

thats all for now, i started mocking up the lt1 dual fans in the engine bay, have to trim a bunch to clear the steering box and ill have to fab some brackets out of flat aluminum stock @JOATMON truck thread for inspiration
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

Slowboat, FWIW I used plated steel flat bar. Aluminum may not be rigid enough. AND, getting enough clearance using the stock f-body fans has been a pain in the ass. If I would have realized how much space those fans take up when mounted straight up vertically, I would have bought a dual pancake fan setup. In f-body stock setups the whole assembly is tilted vertically as you know. I'll update my truck thread pretty soon with photos of the problem areas.
    Nolan
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JOATMON For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

new valvecovers yay

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123