Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Wrench

Status
    Name
    Chile
    Vehicle
    1994 9C1 6SPD

Default Block machining questions

So I'm still fighting this oil leak. It's located some where in the area of the oil pressure sender and where the corners of the intake/head. I was wondering if when heads are shaved does anything need to me done to the block or intake to get everything to match up again.
    ASE L1 Master Certified Tech's 9C1 T56. Yeah she's got a big butt. But watch her move it.

R.I.P. Z8

InActive Member

Status

Sometimes the intake may need a shave. It all depends on how much was taken off the heads and if the block was decked.
    John

The Wrench

Status
    Name
    Chile
    Vehicle
    1994 9C1 6SPD

Don't know how much was taken off it went from 54cc to 51cc. The intake has no problem bolting up to the heads.
    ASE L1 Master Certified Tech's 9C1 T56. Yeah she's got a big butt. But watch her move it.

R.I.P. Z8

The Wrench

Status
    Name
    Chile
    Vehicle
    1994 9C1 6SPD

Well its defiantly the intake. Just need to figure out how much to machine.

R.I.P. Z8

9 Second N/A Club

Status

ummm fyi theres a plug that should be sealed and installed in the head surface of the block right where you are desciribing.......did you check this? if its that unfortunately the head has to come off to fix it
    95 LTx Z28 Quasar Blue---NA 385 c.i. Advanced Induciton HCI, TH350, #3290-- 9.77 @ 138.4
    2010 & 2011 LTX Shootout Modified Naturally Aspirated Champion
    2012 LTX Shootout Modified Naturally Aspirated Top Qualifier and Runner Up---LTX Shootout MOD NA Top ET Record Holder

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

@chile ^^^

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
    LTXtech.com

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

I doubt intake seal would be suspect with a small mill and a non-decked block.

China wall or block plug would be my guess, in that order.
    93 Medium Patriot Red Z28: Forged 383,GTP'd AFR 220s(@227ccs), LE .7xx" Billet SR,1.7 Shaftmounts,24x,Maxed Supervic,4150 TB. :12 Metallic Spark Black ZX14R: 1.5" drop, GP slipons, -2 Vortex rear. 152mph trap SWB, stock motor...now with Nitrous... :09 Victory Red LS3 Z51 Vette: Blackouts, muffler delete, sub. Purchased bone stock w/18k mi.

The Wrench

Status
    Name
    Chile
    Vehicle
    1994 9C1 6SPD

Quote Originally Posted by quik95lt1 View Post
    ummm fyi theres a plug that should be sealed and installed in the head surface of the block right where you are desciribing.......did you check this? if its that unfortunately the head has to come off to fix it
    That's what I thought it was at first. So I took the head of got a new plug and some teflon. Got it all back together and still leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I doubt intake seal would be suspect with a small mill and a non-decked block.

China wall or block plug would be my guess, in that order.
    Well it is the back of the intake is leaking where it meet the back of the engine.

R.I.P. Z8

What RTV are you using and what install method?

I had to use Ultra Black RTV, set a thick bead and let it set for a few minutes, then set the intake down straight in one motion using dowels in the bolt holes as guides. First try on my 93 when I used plain RTV and didn't let it film over first I had a leak back there.
    93 Medium Patriot Red Z28: Forged 383,GTP'd AFR 220s(@227ccs), LE .7xx" Billet SR,1.7 Shaftmounts,24x,Maxed Supervic,4150 TB. :12 Metallic Spark Black ZX14R: 1.5" drop, GP slipons, -2 Vortex rear. 152mph trap SWB, stock motor...now with Nitrous... :09 Victory Red LS3 Z51 Vette: Blackouts, muffler delete, sub. Purchased bone stock w/18k mi.

The Wrench

Status
    Name
    Chile
    Vehicle
    1994 9C1 6SPD

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    What RTV are you using and what install method?

I had to use Ultra Black RTV, set a thick bead and let it set for a few minutes, then set the intake down straight in one motion using dowels in the bolt holes as guides. First try on my 93 when I used plain RTV and didn't let it film over first I had a leak back there.
    I used the "right stuff". I would let it set for a few minutes then just put the intake on. I never tried the dowel method.

I also found a light coating of oil in the intake.

R.I.P. Z8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast