Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro96 View Post
    Fun I would agree. The weight makes such a large difference in e.t.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Absolutely, you have to run a heavy car to ever understand/realize how much HP they eat.

The point of this was really not about the weight, more about the idea that an LT based engine in the right car can go 6's. Not sure many understand that and it's possible today, not somewhere in the future.

You need billet blocks and top line parts to pull that off but any car in the 6's has those same top line parts with billet blocks. But they are all big blocks and that's where this becomes more cool that an LT 23 degree head engine could do this.

So there is a long way to go for what the fastest LT based car would be. With the right equipment, it's somewhere in the mid to low 6's
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 03-29-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Green View Post
    Absolutely, you have to run a heavy car to ever understand/realize how much HP they eat.

The point of this was really not about the weight, more about the idea that an LT based engine in the right car can go 6's. Not sure many understand that and it's possible today, not somewhere in the future.

You need billet blocks and top line parts to pull that off but any car in the 6's has those same top line parts with billet blocks. But they are all big blocks and that's where this becomes more cool that an LT 23 degree head engine could do this.

So there is a long way to go for what the fastest LT based car would be. With the right equipment, it's somewhere in the mid to low 6's
    I was reading the article that super Chevy done on your ride back when you were running the 4L60E from Rossler and your Donavon block was fairly new to the car and you were still running the 8.5 rearend. You were running 9.5 second. The Cage you had to install after 9.99 had to add a bunch of weight.

I will be curious to see what my combination is going to do. If I can make in the neiborhood of 700 to the rear wheels with the weight being 3300 pounds. According to the calulations. If it made those number 9.5 on the 1/4 mile. It's amazing that car that weights 2500 the weight can run 6s and down in the high 5s on 1200 HP. It takes far more horsepower to propell that extra weight not to mention the stress on the parts. That's why when I look at the pro stock class of the NHRA the car body is made out of carbon fiber and the cars are make 1,500 horsepower to the flywheel. And run in the 6s naturally aspirated.

When the discussion of a steel quartes and roof car. The weight that it adds.

There's no aftermarket block produduced. I cannot imagine what the cost of and finding some one that has the ability to machine an aftermarket block for the LT-1 reversal flow ect.

Last edited by Camaro96; 03-29-2018 at 12:58 PM.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro96 View Post
    I was reading the article that super Chevy done on your ride back when you were running the 4L60E from Rossler and your Donavon block was fairly new to the car and you were still running the 8.5 rearend. You were running 9.5 second. The Cage you had to install after 9.99 had to add a bunch of weight.

I will be curious to see what my combination is going to do. If I can make in the neiborhood of 700 to the rear wheels with the weight being 3300 pounds. According to the calulations. If it made those number 9.5 on the 1/4 mile. It's amazing that car that weights 2500 the weight can run 6s and down in the high 5s on 1200 HP. It takes far more horsepower to propell that extra weight not to mention the stress on the parts. That's why when I look at the pro stock class of the NHRA the car body is made out of carbon fiber and the cars are make 1,500 horsepower to the flywheel. And run in the 6s naturally aspirated.

When the discussion of a steel quartes and roof car. The weight that it adds.

There's no aftermarket block produduced. I cannot imagine what the cost of and finding some one that has the ability to machine an aftermarket block for the LT-1 reversal flow ect.

Maybe I shouldn't say this too loud but I own the programming rights to the CNC program for my billet LT1 block. It would still be more money than most would want to spend but I can produce as many Billet LT1 blocks I want. But we are still talking "one offs" so it's just a lot more expensive when a company with a CNC only runs one and not 100.

So you can buy a Billet LT1 block and they do exist, I have one in my car.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

Maybe I shouldn't say this too loud but I own the programming rights to the CNC program for my billet LT1 block. It would still be more money than most would want to spend but I can produce as many Billet LT1 blocks I want. But we are still talking "one offs" so it's just a lot more expensive when a company with a CNC only runs one and not 100.

So you can buy a Billet LT1 block and they do exist, I have one in my car.
    That's good to know. I want to see how long my current setup lives. I will have to save up and talk with you when it comes time for the next build. The weak link in my build is the LT1 block.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Last year was a disaster with nothing but blowing off blower tubes and fireballs. I knew what was wrong but couldn't figure out why.

I have that now figured out. Two test sessions so far this year with 1.3 sixty foots and it hasn't bent the rear end with all the added bracing. Trying to be careful with it so no real passes yet. But have coasted to the 330 in the 3's and to the 1/8 at 6.5 at 70 MPH. Plan going tomorrow for a full power 330 pass and see if it all looks good.

Hope the LT shootout is on for 2019, I plan to be there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

And before someone thinks a 1.3 60 foot is no big deal, you didn't do it in a 4500 car. Go get the salt bags and load your car up until the scales say 4500 pounds. You will either bend something, break something or it will just go BOOM and not even move off the line. I don't think trying a 1.2 60 foot is a wise thing with that much weight. If it just weighed 4000 pound it would already be at 1.2

And as my disclaimer always states, this doesn't make my car better than yours in any way. But you're also are not doing what I'm doing. So I could still have problems even with 1.3's.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

Nice 60 foot time. Good luck with the 330 pass.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Last year was a disaster with nothing but blowing off blower tubes and fireballs. I knew what was wrong but couldn't figure out why.

I have that now figured out. Two test sessions so far this year with 1.3 sixty foots and it hasn't bent the rear end with all the added bracing. Trying to be careful with it so no real passes yet. But have coasted to the 330 in the 3's and to the 1/8 at 6.5 at 70 MPH. Plan going tomorrow for a full power 330 pass and see if it all looks good.

Hope the LT shootout is on for 2019, I plan to be there.
    Oh its on!!!!

LTXtech.com is my drug...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Awesome!! You have my support on that

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Plan to make the Shootout.

Still working on the car as needs to be 5.3 in the 1/8 mile to get where I think it can. it's in the 120's but needs to be in the 130's at the 1/8 which will put it at the 170's in the quarter. It's a slow process but because I'm being careful I haven't hurt the motor this year. Items that still have to be worked out.

1. Fuel balance -- almost there.
    2. Timing -- Running it safe right now and that is power loss. To what degree is the question? To be safe, add 1 degree at a time.
    3. lockup -- The old setup gained 3 tenths in the quarter and 8 MPH by just turning the lockup on in third gear. Will need to get this working before I mess with timing.
    4. Power run out off the line -- still playing with how soon you can add full power without traction issues or bending the rearend. About took out a tracks timing boxes last week as it was all over the place and had to get out of it. I think the track was as much to blame as the power.

That list is time consuming. The best way to do things is changing only one item at a time so that's a lot of passes. Trying to speed that up by staying at the 1/8 and only doing 1/4 when all looks good at the 1/8. Less stress on everything by only going to the 1/8 to get to the next change.

So all that is not going to be perfect in three weeks. Will be using the Shootout as a test session to continue where ever I'm at in the list.

Bet it's the only outlaw car with a GM computer, Opti that is still works and basicly a real street car. It's a much slower road but fun when you get it all there.
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 08-22-2019 at 12:50 PM.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast