Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status

Default If you're new to LT1's. Helpfull info!!

If you just got your LT1 Camaro then you'll notice that you have quite a few heater hoses and coolant hoses. I just did a hose swap for my heater and a coolant hoses that were frazzled and one actually was leaking and I thought this info might be hlepfull if you're new to LT1'S. Well if you notice there are a few hoses that are connected to a metal pipe OR tube. Right in front you'll see a bleeder valve that is a metal hose and the rubber hoses that look like they are one piece. This is a little decieving if you don't know what you are looking at. They connectors are actually clamps from the factory and although they look like one piece they are not. If you develop a leak from one of these hoses they you may try (in vain) to find the rubber and metal hose as one piece. Good luck! Here's what you do if you get a leak from one of these hoses mentioned. I did my bleeder valve hose so I'll use this as an example. If you have a air grinder this will make removing the clamps 10x easier than if you have to use a hacksaw but a hacksaw will work too. If you plan on replaceing the entire hose (like I did) then go ahead and cut the metal part of the hose off. If you have a vice then use it. If not than a friend will do. Grind or cut along the clamp but try not to go to far or you'll cut the metal hose too. Remove the clamp using a screwdriver. Do the same thing with the other side and that's it. Now put the new hose on and waalaa! It's easier than you think. I enclosed a couple of pics of the clamps I removed.

You can see that I used my air grinder to cut along the clamp.

In this pic you can see the clamp after it was removed. Put the new hoses on and you're ready to rule the streets again.
    Fern_
    94 Z28
    A4, 3400 stall, B&M shiftkit, Richmond American 373 gears, CAI, shorty headers, Flowmaster catback, PCMforless tune.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LT1RUNNER For This Post:

Wow, great info. So in the above case you would just use worm gear style clamps to attach genaric rubber hose to. What a savings. Eric L

LTX Jedi Master

Status

Sweet! I was able to get one from a donor car (thank God) cause all the ones in the bone yard are cut up. If this ever happens again I know what to do.
    LT1, M6, CC306 cam, Comp 918 springs, Hardened pushrods,Ported TB, TB Bypass, Descreened MAF, 4:10 Gear, pacesetter LTs, custom exhaust, Some Suspension Upgrades...

Near future: LE2 package

3.4L to LT1 Swapper

Status
    Name
    Brian Meissen
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro "Red Alert"; 2022 Camaro LT1 RS

Thanks for info! That's something to definitely keep in mind should the worst happen.

- Brian Meissen -
    "Magic Man" - LTxTech
    Owner - Michigan FBody Association

1994 Chevrolet Camaro "Red Alert" [ LT1 Transplant ]
    2022 Chevrolet Camaro LT1 RS "Cherry Bomb 6.2"

InActive Member

Status

Glad I could help.
    Fern_
    94 Z28
    A4, 3400 stall, B&M shiftkit, Richmond American 373 gears, CAI, shorty headers, Flowmaster catback, PCMforless tune.

Banned

Status
    Name
    Brenda
    Vehicle
    1997 Z28 M6

one of my heater hoses looks like it needs to be changed in the near future here, and i've found this to be very helpful, thanks!

10 Second N/A Club

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    96 Z28

I vote for sticky in the "walk through" or "general engine" section! So many people resort to scrap yards or pay lots of $ for uesd parts.
    Last edited by 96LT1355Z28; 10-15-2009 at 02:11 AM.
    -Josh
    co-owner of BDBRacing.com
    NMCA OC 9004
    96, N/A 385, Holley EFI, Faceplated M6, AI TFS heads, LE SR cam, MWC Fab 9
    10.16 @ 136 1.50 60'........still workin on that 60' shootin for 1.4's!

InActive Member

Status

yea good info first time i have been able to see what it actually looks like without having to replace the whole hose again.
    1997 z28/SS, m-6 , t-tops, white on white leather seats with houndstooth and leather on the way and ss hood and the orange hugg stripes! ss spoiler,cai,and ss rims and flowmasters with chrome tips, 30th edition!!!!!!
    Brian

InActive Member

Status

good info, thx for sharing it

InActive Member

Status

The ultimate custom would be adding AN fittings and braided hose, then replacement becomes a really easy job, and the hoses last longer and IMO look better.....but that's me
    93 Z28, A4 Full tubular suspension, LT's, CAI, EWP 13.1@102

converter and gears before spring.....hoping for 12.5's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast