Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

View Poll Results: Who has the best pilots?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • USAF

14 53.85%
  • USN

9 34.62%
  • Other: explain

3 11.54%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 95Yardbird View Post
    MARINE CORPS
    So why the Marines? If your going to pick other than the USAF, or USN, explain why.

I do find it interesting someone else who voted Marines stated it just because they happen to fly certain airframes (one of which the Air Force also happens to fly).
    1995 Z28 - disfunctional now, perhaps insane after its "treatment"
    1998 Formula WS6 -Heads, cam, intake, bolt ons 441RWHP

InActive Member

Status

I would say both!!!!!!!!! we both have awesome demostration teams and i am in the Navy and work right next to Travis AFB in CA. i have had the chance to see both sides of the coin! i do love the Navy Blue Angels!!!

Burple Paint Job, Mid Length Pacesetters, High Flow Cat, Auburn High Torque Posi with 3.42 gears, Rebuilt 4l60E with shift kit, My Tune, Moroso CAI, Aluminum Driveshaft, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, Panhard Bar, 1.8" drop, NGK TR55's.**13.5 @ 104 MPH 2.0 60ft**

InActive Member

Status

A little something to back my vote

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZyvY3n9GDY&feature=related"]YouTube- F-16 Falcon vs F-14 Tomcat Dogfight[/ame]

Air Force F-16's vs Navy's F-14's
    Its obviously a little older (since F-14's are retired, and the F-16 will be retired fairly soon), but never the less it shows Navy pilots vs Air Force pilots. Granted this is just air to air combat, and I don't think that pilot skill is all about that, but it is a part.

This is perhaps not the best example, as the F-14 and F-16 are much different jets, and each has its own different capabilities.
    Last edited by CALL911; 11-14-2009 at 01:11 PM.

LTX Jedi Master

Status

FWIW The Marines and Navy are commanded by the same branch of the military so it doesn't even matter. (Dept. of the Navy) I vote Air Force though.
    LT1, M6, CC306 cam, Comp 918 springs, Hardened pushrods,Ported TB, TB Bypass, Descreened MAF, 4:10 Gear, pacesetter LTs, custom exhaust, Some Suspension Upgrades...

Near future: LE2 package

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wooshie View Post
    FWIW The Marines and Navy are commanded by the same branch of the military so it doesn't even matter. (Dept. of the Navy) I vote Air Force though.
    Yeah, I know. However I am not sure if they all train together (Navy specific training) or if the Marines have their own seperate training/pilot program.

The Air Force shares two pilot trainning bases with the Navy. Corpus Christi (T-44's for C-130 training), and Pensacola (joint T-1, T-38 training). At these bases the Navy runs the program, and the Air Force sends their pilots to them. Some of my buddies who have gone to these bases after their initial pilot training with the Air Force can't believe how easy the Navy program is compared to the Air Force program. They all say its really a joke compared to Air Force pilot training. Usually the Air Force pilots who go to these two bases (there aren't many that do) end up WAY behind the power curve when they get to their assigned MWS (major weapons system/ airframe).

One of my buddies said there was one guy who returned from leave and the scheduler didn't even notice until a month later when he somehow realized, "hey, Lt so and so hasn't flown in a month and a half, I guess I should put him back on the schedule".

Navy hands down. They land on 900 ft carrier decks where USAF lands on runways a mile long. Air force probably dont get as good of training either because of noise issues. Dont have to worry about that when you are on the water.
    BTW the F15 is not "the best fighter hands down" as previously stated. The Mig 29 is a much better fighter.
    Last edited by Future_Z_Owner; 11-18-2009 at 07:09 AM.

InActive Member

Status

Several tears ago I was stationed at a base that only had Marine and Navy pilots. One of the crusty old Marine Lt. Col's had a Tee shirt that said:
    "I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in the Air Force"

That kinda says it all. IMHO. Former Marine

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Future_Z_Owner View Post
    Navy hands down. They land on 900 ft carrier decks where USAF lands on runways a mile long. Air force probably dont get as good of training either because of noise issues. Dont have to worry about that when you are on the water.
    BTW the F15 is not "the best fighter hands down" as previously stated. The Mig 29 is a much better fighter.
    I definatly give props to the Navy pilots who do carrier landings. That is something that takes a lot of sheer talent.

However, I don't think that the Navy pilots who do the carrier landings are always the most talented. Personally I think theres a lot more than landings that go into it, but this is something to be debated as it can not be prooved.

Noise issues are neglageble. The Air Force doesn't have noise restrictions anywhere they train past the bases where they land. They go to MOA's (military operated areas) to do all their training, which includes supersonic flight for example. The Air Force pilot training is a lot more intense and in depth than the Navy pilot training is (I can say that from first hand experience). But again, not always the deciding factor on who would be the best.

I never said the F-15C was the best fighter. I just said it had the highest air to air kill ratio of anything in the USAF history (including shooting down 4 Mig 29's on the first day of Operation Allied Force, 24 March 1999). If you want to know what the best fighter is, then that is a no brainer, its the F-22. They have already put it up against everything possibly worthy in the inventory (to include F-18 superhornets), the F-22 has taken down everything before any of them could see them coming. The F-22 is 3rd generation stealth, the only aircraft to have the ability to go supersonic without the use of afterburner, and would far exceed the abilities of the 30+ year old Mig 29.

Quote Originally Posted by 1963SS View Post
    Several tears ago I was stationed at a base that only had Marine and Navy pilots. One of the crusty old Marine Lt. Col's had a Tee shirt that said:
    "I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in the Air Force"

That kinda says it all. IMHO. Former Marine
    I wouldn't expect much different from an old crusty Marine

To be honest, I think the carrier landings are a little inflated. What do they use? Some kind of ILS? I imagine they are way past a simple NDB. Fighters just hit the glideslope anyways. At least the viper guys I have talked to do.

Not to completely discredit the feat. I don't think I could get it. You hit brick one with a 130,000lb C-130 and stop in 1500ft WITHOUT a hook and that's some skillz...

But, nobody is better than ME!!

at Ace Combat 4 HA HA HA!!

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SgtZ28 View Post
    To be honest, I think the carrier landings are a little inflated. What do they use? Some kind of ILS? I imagine they are way past a simple NDB. Fighters just hit the glideslope anyways. At least the viper guys I have talked to do.

Not to completely discredit the feat. I don't think I could get it. You hit brick one with a 130,000lb C-130 and stop in 1500ft WITHOUT a hook and that's some skillz...

But, nobody is better than ME!!

at Ace Combat 4 HA HA HA!!
    It's not the approach that is difficult. I think most pilots can fly a decent ILS approach. Its the landing itself on a moving insanely short runway, that you have to hit at just the right angle and location.

Again, not that this particular pilot skill is what all makes a great pilot. Whos to say that I, a tanker pilot am not better than a fighter pilot?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast