Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: 4L60E

Default 4L60E

Looking into the do's and donts of these trannys.. I will of course add a deeper finned tranny pan and a large cooler .. But as for the internals what is everyone doing .. theres about 6 tranny shops in my area and they all have a different take on what to do to keep the tranny happy behind my aplacation.
    86 Mazda RX7 GXL.. 5.7 ltr v8 4L60E auto, 86 Mazda RX7 SE.. 0.0 ltr, 99 Dodge Intrepid.. 2.5 ltr v6 auto, 94 Mazda MX6 2.5 ltr v6 auto,90 Olds Toronado 3.8 ltr v6 auto,87 Jeep camanche 2.5 ltr I4 5speed,85 Chevy s10 2.8 ltr V6 4X4 auto

Needs Driver Mod

Status

What all is done to the car? 4l60e's arent really that strong for the power these cars make. If your close to stock then you'll be fine with a big tranny cooler. If you decide to get a stalled torque converter then you really need to go with a good name brand such as precision or yank.

My second gear is going out in my firebird and im planning on doing a heavy build on it, so im gonna go with a performabuilt 4l60e rated up to 500 horses, instead of a stock rebuild.
    1997 Trans am- M6- Ebay Longtubes, Summit X pipe with Magnaflows, CAI, Adj LCAs with relocation brackets, Comp engineering shocks, Competition stage 2 clutch.

86 Mazda RX7 GXL.. 5.7 ltr v8 4L60E auto, 86 Mazda RX7 SE.. 0.0 ltr, 99 Dodge Intrepid.. 2.5 ltr v6 auto, 94 Mazda MX6 2.5 ltr v6 auto,90 Olds Toronado 3.8 ltr v6 auto,87 Jeep camanche 2.5 ltr I4 5speed,85 Chevy s10 2.8 ltr V6 4X4 auto

10 Second Club

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Toomanycars View Post
    Looking into the do's and donts of these trannys.. I will of course add a deeper finned tranny pan and a large cooler .. But as for the internals what is everyone doing .. theres about 6 tranny shops in my area and they all have a different take on what to do to keep the tranny happy behind my aplacation.
    4l60Es are the same basic transmission (hardware) as the 700R4, but with an electronic valve-body controlled by the PCM. With the correct components they can be built to handle 650 HP (Beast Sun-Shell, 5-Hub planetary gears, super 2nd gear servo and upgraded clutches).

Here is link to a company that builds performance 4L60Es.

http://www.performabuilt.com/

WD
    Last edited by The Engineer; 09-16-2008 at 04:55 AM.

2009 LTX Shoot-Out Modified N/A Top Speed, 126.9 MPH and Final Four
    2008 LTX Shoot-Out Modified N/A Low ET and Runner-Up

1997 Z28, A4 Factory Power Windows and Hatch-Back Release

InActive Member

Status

yeah basically you need some decent clutches and steels, a good shift kit, and the billet 2nd and 4th servo. the z pak is popular for the 3-4 clutches since these offer 9 clutches instead of the 4-5 in factory form. the pans always help with temp too. and definitely get an efficient cooler.
    DAILY DRIVEN 1970 CHEVELLE ,94 LT1,TUNER CAT, DIY PORT & POLISHED RUNNERS,BOWL & CHAMBERS ,DIY TURBO ,8LB EXTERNAL WASTEGATE,3" INTERCOOLED,255 PUMP,42LBS LUCAS INJECTORS, A4 W SHIFT KIT, YANK 3400,AND 3.55

InActive Member

Status

oh yeah forgot to mention a good band.
    DAILY DRIVEN 1970 CHEVELLE ,94 LT1,TUNER CAT, DIY PORT & POLISHED RUNNERS,BOWL & CHAMBERS ,DIY TURBO ,8LB EXTERNAL WASTEGATE,3" INTERCOOLED,255 PUMP,42LBS LUCAS INJECTORS, A4 W SHIFT KIT, YANK 3400,AND 3.55

N2O Breathing Demented Tuner

Status

Quote Originally Posted by IronOutlaw View Post
    What all is done to the car? 4l60e's arent really that strong for the power these cars make. If your close to stock then you'll be fine with a big tranny cooler. If you decide to get a stalled torque converter then you really need to go with a good name brand such as precision or yank.

My second gear is going out in my firebird and im planning on doing a heavy build on it, so im gonna go with a performabuilt 4l60e rated up to 500 horses, instead of a stock rebuild.

I will have to dissagree on the power they will take. With a good tuen i put over 50,000 miles on my stock transmissions and threw a14 Psi of boost 150HP of N2O and beat the hell out of it. then I took it aparts (it was still in good shape) and added a few parts and daily drove durring the week and ran 10.ohs on the weekends.

I blew up a Stock Converter in front of it making a 640+RWHP Dyno pull on it. MY fault for trying to save my Yank while locking it on the dyno. THe stock converter never locked up and let go on the second pull. THe transmission it self is still in good shape just needs a new pump

The ONLY reason it is still not in there is I wanted a transbrake and the better gear ratios of a TH400.

A 4L6xE is a GREAT street strip transmission IF built correctly. We have had great luck with then in the nines and tens.
    Ellis

Faster Then a LS1!

4L60E's are great when they are built properly, but very few shops have the reputation to do so. I would never take mine to a local shop, unless I knew for a fact that they have built several units beforehand and had good results with them. They are also quite expensive when built to handle a ton of power. Not to mention the converters are expensive also. You have to ask yourself if that extra gear is worth the money, lol.

I went th350 since my car is just a cruiser. The tranny cost me $695.00, the adapter kit was $125, the new dipstick was $75.00, and the nitrous converter was $500.00. A th350 has a ZILLION times more options out there when it comes to converter selection. My tranny is rated to handle 700+hp, and the converter is rated at 800+hp.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast