Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status

Default OK Show me the ropes

Hey guys,

Thinking about getting into solos and time trials here in the rocky mtn division of the SCCA when I get my car up here.

What I'm planning on doing to start out is going to a PDX day and kinda checking everything out.

Auto X seems appealing and running on an actual road course sounds REALLY like a frickin fun blast.

Any tips or info you can offer for someone who is going to be starting in an F-body, I appreciate it.

Greg

-94 Z28 355 M6 24X E-85 21* TRICKFLOWS TH400 S60
    C5 Z06 IN ROAD RACE TRIM. COMING SOON

Pr0jekt Turb0?

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

What kind of suspension work do you have done? tires?
    -Ryan
    93 Z28 M28

Mod List

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Look up the classes and find out what you want to run so you know how to mod it. with your power adders your most likely going to be in a class you can't really compete in. But I think autox is more haivng fun in your car than competing. a strut tower bar and sub frame connectors will really help the rigidity of your car.

-Eric
    1997 Camaro SS # 2703 - Full exhaust, brand new suspension, bolt-ons, etc.
    2004 Silverado
    Z71 - Airraid, Corvette Servo, 33" AT's, leveled, etc.

InActive Member

Status

Yeah it's going to be in the 3rd highest modded class. Street prepared I think is the name.

I know it won't be competitive there unless I go way further with the mods. Another reason the time trials look appealing, that and come to find out Colorado has several badass 3-4 mile road courses that would be sooo fun to run on.

The car has 17x9.5 ZR1's on it with Nitto's I think. I'll have to double check on the tires.

No suspension mods yet but my buddy has some custom valved bilsteins, some coilovers (not sure on the brand) and LCA bushings that he was gonna put on there before he bought his Z06.

I plan on doing a tower brace and weld in sf connectors too.

Where can I find a tubular K-member and what will that do besides save weight?

The catch 22 I'm gonna find myself in is I love to drag race too and it's kinda opposite suspension setups lol.

Been looking at the spohn torque arms too. Theyre nice but spendy

Pr0jekt Turb0?

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

spohn, umi, bmr all make tubular k members... they are lighter, give some more rigity, and give alot more room underneath the car.

You're probably going to want some cooling mods, just some suggestions... hd electric water pump, larger radiator, better fans, lower thermostat
    -Ryan
    93 Z28 M28

Mod List

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Yeah I hear ya your kinda like me. I want my car to do both too. A f-body should be a fair bit more competitive in road racing as auto-x is a lot of sharp turns and quick acceleration. Just gotta build the suspension to where it's fun in both auto x and drag racing.

-Eric
    1997 Camaro SS # 2703 - Full exhaust, brand new suspension, bolt-ons, etc.
    2004 Silverado
    Z71 - Airraid, Corvette Servo, 33" AT's, leveled, etc.

InActive Member

Status

Yep, I figure worst case scenario is you have a set of shocks and tires for each.

Take an hour or so prob to switch it over and go drag racing! Come back and put the stiffer suspension on for the street and solo/road racing events.

I would LOVE to do wheel to wheel heads up road racing but I dont have the money or time to put into it. Not to mention the only way to be competitive would be cutting up the car into a purpose built racer.

Not what I want, just a badass street car that I can go and have fun with, and maybe win some bracket races, but not worry about being the fastest thing at every event.

Cool thing about time trials is your consistency is just as important as how fast you can get around the track. Kinda like bracket racing. :-)

InActive Member

Status

AutoX is addicting... no doubt.
    As for being outclassed... don't worry about that. It'll be fun. I ran in ESP (street prepared) in my pickup with the V6. Slicks helped to even it a little, but i still got stomped by most of the regulars/good drivers.

Go for ride alongs. It is technically against the rules... you have to ride with instructors, and you'll get a feel for what should really go on. In my area, as a novice, you can ride with instructors, and they will ride with you and give you pointers. Once you are no longer novice you CAN NOT do that. You would be seeing the course more than other competitors, and that isn't allowed.

For AutoX, you don't really need to worry about the EWP, biggger radiator, or fans. UNLESS you are running multiple drivers. My dad's vette got pretty hot when him and i were driving because it didn't have cool down time between runs. A single driver car has enough time between passes. Also, it's a little more rushed here in Houston. There are A LOT of cars.
    -Duane-
    1994 S-10 - Lt1/700r4 - project /// 2001 2dr Blazer - boring daily

Pr0jekt Turb0?

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
    AutoX is addicting... no doubt.
    As for being outclassed... don't worry about that. It'll be fun. I ran in ESP (street prepared) in my pickup with the V6. Slicks helped to even it a little, but i still got stomped by most of the regulars/good drivers.

Go for ride alongs. It is technically against the rules... you have to ride with instructors, and you'll get a feel for what should really go on. In my area, as a novice, you can ride with instructors, and they will ride with you and give you pointers. Once you are no longer novice you CAN NOT do that. You would be seeing the course more than other competitors, and that isn't allowed.

For AutoX, you don't really need to worry about the EWP, biggger radiator, or fans. UNLESS you are running multiple drivers. My dad's vette got pretty hot when him and i were driving because it didn't have cool down time between runs. A single driver car has enough time between passes. Also, it's a little more rushed here in Houston. There are A LOT of cars.
    Well I didn't mean so much those cooling mods for the X, but he mentioned a road course too and running high rpms for that long I would want to be sure to keep things as cool as possible
    -Ryan
    93 Z28 M28

Mod List

InActive Member

Status

Thanks guys.

I was thinking a CSR water pump but I might flow out for the HD Meziere for the reason you mentioned z28.

I'll keep ya'll updated on how it all shakes out. Gotta get the car up here first! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast