Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Pete Birrell
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS LT1

Default Will a PCM fire plugs on a carburated LT1

I am working on a '29 Ford roadster and thinking about installing a sbc. For a Gen I engine you have to cut the firewall to clear the HEI distributor.

I was thinking I could use a smaller points distributor without the cap using a carbed Gen II engine. The points could make and break the circuit to the coil, firing through an Opti up front just for distributing the spark.

Then I ran across this old article from Hot Rod inferring a PCM could spark the engine using a GM Perf. carb intake (which I have). Then I could just put a freeze plug in the distributor hole.

Do you think the PCM would fire it with no injector hookup without going into limp home mode.

Currently the car has a 78 Regal carbed turbo V6 motor sitting in it, but it's seized from sitting for 30 years.

Pete
    1997-08 Hot Rod Mag LT1 intake.jpg 20230419_29 Ford.jpg
    1996 Impala SS, LT1, Edelbrock headers, MSD, K&N, 1962 Pontiac, LT1 4L60E swap
    1956 Ford Victoria, '95 Vette Lt1, GM Perf. Parts intake, Holley Ultra 750, GM Hot Cam,
    1978 Malibu 400 sbc ( collecting pieces for LT1/4l60E swap)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rwd_pete For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rwd_pete View Post
    I am working on a '29 Ford roadster and thinking about installing a sbc. For a Gen I engine you have to cut the firewall to clear the HEI distributor.

I was thinking I could use a smaller points distributor without the cap using a carbed Gen II engine. The points could make and break the circuit to the coil, firing through an Opti up front just for distributing the spark.

Then I ran across this old article from Hot Rod inferring a PCM could spark the engine using a GM Perf. carb intake (which I have). Then I could just put a freeze plug in the distributor hole.

Do you think the PCM would fire it with no injector hookup without going into limp home mode.

Currently the car has a 78 Regal carbed turbo V6 motor sitting in it, but it's seized from sitting for 30 years.

Pete
    1997-08 Hot Rod Mag LT1 intake.jpg 20230419_29 Ford.jpg
    i believe it would. there is not really a limp mode for these cars besides check engine light on and fans on.

im looking into using a carbed lt1 in a swap BUT using a ls ignition controller to drive 8 ls coils with a torqhead sensing unit

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Pete Birrell
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS LT1

Thanks for your comment. My Impala SS went into a limp home mode once, but it was a tranny issue and it stayed in low gear. I guess that that's the tranny side of the PCM brain. The coil on plug setup sounds like a nice modern way to make it all work.
    Pete
    1996 Impala SS, LT1, Edelbrock headers, MSD, K&N, 1962 Pontiac, LT1 4L60E swap
    1956 Ford Victoria, '95 Vette Lt1, GM Perf. Parts intake, Holley Ultra 750, GM Hot Cam,
    1978 Malibu 400 sbc ( collecting pieces for LT1/4l60E swap)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwd_pete For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rwd_pete View Post
    Thanks for your comment. My Impala SS went into a limp home mode once, but it was a tranny issue and it stayed in low gear. I guess that that's the tranny side of the PCM brain. The coil on plug setup sounds like a nice modern way to make it all work.
    Pete
    trans does have a limp home mode, as far as i know limp mode engine side is open loop speed density

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Supposedly there is a sub-program in the PCM that covers the limp mode. That is only intended to keep the engine running when almost all sensor input is lost. Key word… “supposedly”.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Supposedly there is a sub-program in the PCM that covers the limp mode. That is only intended to keep the engine running when almost all sensor input is lost. Key word… “supposedly”.
    ill figure that out soon as osie and i are going to use a painless stand alone harness and run a motor on the stand
    2021 Charger Scat 392

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

GM calls it Back-Up Mode (also known as limp-home mode). It would not be useful for anything other than moving the vehicle off the road. Uses only distributor reference pulses, throttle position, and coolant temp. Implemented when ECM cannot operate normally. Conditions causing:
    - ECM volts less than 9 volts
    - Cranking voltage less than 9volts
    - ECM internal circuitry fails to ensure proper Computer Operating Pulses

This is from gmtuners.com. Not specific to the LT1, at one point mentions PROM missing, so Im only assuming the definition was carried over to the fixed chip PCMs.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post: