Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOATMON View Post
    Car has amazing separation instead of rocking backward like most fbodys, but with a radial, it hits the tire too hard and the radial being stiff it springs back about 5-10ft out and then starts hazing the tire. thats killing my 60ft.

I haven't had my car back on the track with the Mickey's. At the track on street tires it was just like like my signature, "no traction till the top of third gear".
    When I hole shot it on the street on the drag radials, it plants the tires at first then seems to unload the tires and possibly the rear of the car lifts and smokes the tires bad. This is right when I have to shift second gear and then I just boil the tires all the way through second.
    Does the front of my torque arm need to go up or down to improve the tire plant?
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the suspension science.
    Nolan
    dont mess with the torque arm right away, play with shock settings or lca angle. if the lca angle is say at the bottom hole, thats gonna hit the tire harder than if its 1 hole up.

Radials on the street honestly wont hook anyway without using something like skinnies secret sauce or rocket prep (like the street race guys do) but even then its a spin fest.

street hooking is gonna be on a bias ply slick

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

installed a mechanical nitrous pressure gauge back at the bottle right where it goes into the line......well now we have an issue

the gauge at the bottle reads almost exactly 100psig lower than the autometer mechanical nitrous pressure gauge that is installed right before the solenoid. so which is right? could this be why when i have 900psig on the autometer gauge after purging i actually have 800psig?

could this be why when i think the bottle is empty it actually isnt and the car is falling off from low nitrous pressure?20230503_213057.jpg

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Do you have an accurate way to measure the temperature of the bottle? I have a graph of temp vs. pressure, or you can find it on the ‘net. There may even be a copy of my graph in the file folder I gave you.

And read this article about the issues created when the bottle temp exceeds the critical point at 97.5F (1,050 PSI). Hotter is not always better.

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/nitro...-and-tips.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Do you have an accurate way to measure the temperature of the bottle? I have a graph of temp vs. pressure, or you can find it on the net. There may even be a copy of my graph in the file folder I gave you.

And read this article about the issues created when the bottle temp exceeds the critical point at 97.5F (1,050 PSI). Hotter is not always better.

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/nitro...-and-tips.html
    i infared temped the bottle which was closer on a pt chart to the mechanical gauge at the bottle, not the autometer gauge. 950psig is the magic number.

2021 Charger Scat 392

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Also keep in mind - the nitrous (auto)cools the contents of the bottle as the bottle empties. The liquid leaving the bottle creates a void, liquid in the bottle vaporizes to fill the void, pulling the heat of vaporization out of the liquid in the tank. The pressure of the liquid can drop 100 PSI on a run, which reduces the pressure, which reduces the flow. The heater can’t compensate for that in the 10 seconds it takes to get down the track.

There's a system called the NANO available that gets rid of the heater, and uses high pressures air or nitrogen to maintain a uniform pressure over the full run. Just more cost, weight, and a bit of complication. But solves the problem of tuning for a nitrous flow that falls as you go down the track.

http://www.nano-nitrous.com/

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/08...ressure-games/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Also keep in mind - the nitrous (auto)cools the contents of the bottle as the bottle empties. The liquid leaving the bottle creates a void, liquid in the bottle vaporizes to fill the void, pulling the heat of vaporization out of the liquid in the tank. The pressure of the liquid can drop 100 PSI on a run, which reduces the flow. The heater can’t compensate for that in the 10 seconds it takes to get down the track.

There's a system called the NANO available that gets rid of the heater, and uses high pressures air or nitrogen to maintain a uniform pressure over the full run. Just more cost, weight, and a bit of complication. But solves the problem of tuning for a nitrous flow that falls as you go down the track.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Also keep in mind - the nitrous (auto)cools the contents of the bottle as the bottle empties. The liquid leaving the bottle creates a void, liquid in the bottle vaporizes to fill the void, pulling the heat of vaporization out of the liquid in the tank. The pressure of the liquid can drop 100 PSI on a run, which reduces the pressure, which reduces the flow. The heater cant compensate for that in the 10 seconds it takes to get down the track.

i shouldnt need a nano until im spraying well over 300hp.

i have a fairly solid understanding of pressure temperature relationship and changes of state of what is essentially a refrigerant under pressure, hvac background lol.

thats why i redid a bunch of the fittings on the nitrous side, to eliminate points of expansion that could cause a pressure drop and possible freezing when the nitrous is flowing.

the problem lies in the fact that if im running "950psig" on the autometer gauge in the car, and it reads approximately 100psig high, then bottle pressure is actually 850, which is low for the system, that would drop to say 800 or so on a run. thats out of range

i want to be at the optimum bottle pressure. this could explain why the car feels to fall on its face at the end of a run. i have everything rated for 400hp flow currently. so it shouldnt fall off on a 150. also my nitrous guy advise the bottle i thought was empty had 7lbs in it still, that means there was an issue somewhere feeding nitrous.

2021 Charger Scat 392

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

The main point was to measure the bottle temp and look up on a chart what the pressure is. That will tell you which gauge is correct (or off the least).

Theres a graph on lt1tech that looks good:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...ure-graph.html

Virtually identical to the one I put together on Excel 25 years ago. Can't find the Excel file, but found a printed sheet in a loose leaf notebook. I can give you a copy, or send you a .pdf.

That 20+ year old bottle could have been flowing poorly. I remember one pull at 2nd St right after I ditched the Mufflex 4 catback where it lost 100 HP on a 300-shot. Lon pulled the straight pipes/turndowns off. still down 100. Refilled the bottle in a fridge, heated the full bottle up, still down 100. Substituted one of 2nd St bottles, and the 100 HP reappeared. Appeared something went wrong in the bottle valve assembly. Might explain the 7# left in the 20+ year old bottle.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

The main point was to measure the bottle temp and look up on a chart what the pressure is. That will tell you which gauge is correct (or off the least).

Theres a graph on lt1tech that looks good:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...ure-graph.html

Virtually identical to the one I put together on Excel 25 years ago. Can't find the Excel file, but found a printed sheet in a loose leaf notebook. I can give you a copy, or send you a .pdf.

That 20+ year old bottle could have been flowing poorly. I remember one pull at 2nd St right after I ditched the Mufflex 4 catback where it lost 100 HP on a 300-shot. Lon pulled the straight pipes/turndowns off. still down 100. Refilled the bottle in a fridge, heated the full bottle up, still down 100. Substituted one of 2nd St bottles, and the 100 HP reappeared. Appeared something went wrong in the bottle valve assembly. Might explain the 7# left in the 20+ year old bottle.
    this was 7# left in a brand new nitrous express bottle with .500 orifice lightning bottle valve from lebanon valley. 2 passes and it didnt feel right on the 200 shot 10.15 pass

. that old bottle i used it all, it was empty

2021 Charger Scat 392

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

My car does fairly well on radials with messing around on the street, but I also have a boost ramp for normal street stuff.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast