Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    If I had a trans cooler in the radiator, I would have used it. But the Griffin radiator was ordered when the car still had the T56. My knowledge of automatic transmissions is somewhere between 0 and none. This is the first "performance" car I ever owned with an auto trans (albeit a conversion). I had to trust Second Street.

Answering your email, I never questioned the validity of the Lokar dipstick vs. the installed pan. But I never saw unusually high temps. Your comment of slip is interesting. I built an Excel spreadsheet that reflected both converter slip and tire growth. I had a bit of data on the 28" ET Drag slick growth by noting when the tire grew enough on the chassis dyno to hit the rear bumper cover (which was then cut back about a 1/2+ inch for clearance). If you are running radials, the growth is no longer an issue. But my calculation of the slip ranged from 4 to 5%. And after the first chassis dyno pulls with the TH400, Bill or Lon commented that the converter seemed very efficient, because of the low slip. I lost the spreadsheet in 2019 when my laptop cratered. It's in the outboard backup drive, but I've never taken the time to recover it.

Before/After:
    fti did say it could have to do with loading since its on a 26" tire as opposed to a 28" tire. maybe friday night ill throw the 28"s on and go to island again. I was also talking to other Turbo 400 LT1 racers about it and a few think its either converter or trans related, so we will dig in.

All growing pains. learning the car and what it likes/doesnt like etc. and my automatic trans knowledge is to the extent of what frank taught me, whenever i broke something LOL so i agree with you on that. power goes in magic happens and sometimes it works in an auto lol

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 06-10-2022 at 09:52 AM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I just wish it was running like I told you it would.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I just wish it was running like I told you it would.
    it will, we will get it there. ill just spray it lol

2021 Charger Scat 392

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

The corbeau is now the passenger seat, along with the og harness. functions fine for the fiance.

This evening did a 25ish mile drive varying speed between 40-65mph and varying traffic conditions, od on and off. temp didnt exceed 210f, stayed around 195-200 ish even with a few little roll into it wots.

one thing i did notice is a shudder when you roll into it with the gear vendors od engaged. not sure if it is the gv or the converter, feels like as the converter loads up it shudders with a heavy heavy load.

i havent shifted the gv wot yet at the track, since i didnt hit the limiter and its a solid roller (all teh rpm!)

2021 Charger Scat 392

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Don't know that I ever experienced the shudder. Don't know that I ever tried what you did. It wasnt driven a whole lot on the street.

A complete Gear Vendors setup comes with an electronic controller that disengages it at low RPM/MPH (or some combination thereof?). Bought the unit used from Baxter. He never used the electronic control, don't know if he even had it. We both installed it for the benefit of an extra gear on the freeway. He got rid of it to get weight down. His 97 SS tipped the scales at close to 4,000# with driver.

The fact they sold it with a controller suggested to me that maybe it wasnt good to run it in a lugging situation. But its such a simple planetary gear set that I cant see it with issues. GV actually suggests it is useful to split gears though. It's popular in towing applications. So your 3-speed auto becomes a 5-speed + OD auto. 1 - 1/OD - 2 - 2/OD - 3 - 3/OD. Seemed unnecessary in my application.

I tested the engagement at the top end (nowhere near reaching redline) and it was seamless. Used it on the freeway, was seamless. I actually had delusions of needing it at the top end with the 4.11 gears. I calculated it was going to hit the 7,000 RPM nitrous cutoff at about 134/135 MPH (from memory - as noted, don't have access to the spreadsheet any more). I though it should top that (but not by much) with the full 300 shot.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Don't know that I ever experienced the shudder. Don't know that I ever tried what you did. It wasnt driven a whole lot on the street.

A complete Gear Vendors setup comes with an electronic controller that disengages it at low RPM/MPH (or some combination thereof?). Bought the unit used from Baxter. He never used the electronic control, don't know if he even had it. We both installed it for the benefit of an extra gear on the freeway. He got rid of it to get weight down. His 97 SS tipped the scales at close to 4,000# with driver.

The fact they sold it with a controller suggested to me that maybe it wasnt good to run it in a lugging situation. But its such a simple planetary gear set that I cant see it with issues. GV actually suggests it is useful to split gears though. It's popular in towing applications. So your 3-speed auto becomes a 5-speed + OD auto. 1 - 1/OD - 2 - 2/OD - 3 - 3/OD. Seemed unnecessary in my application.

I tested the engagement at the top end (nowhere near reaching redline) and it was seamless. Used it on the freeway, was seamless. I actually had delusions of needing it at the top end with the 4.11 gears. I calculated it was going to hit the 7,000 RPM nitrous cutoff at about 134/135 MPH (from memory - as noted, don't have access to the spreadsheet any more). I though it should top that (but not by much) with the full 300 shot.
    i think a wire is loose on it, sometimes after hitting a bump it feels funny engaging. i will check tomorrow. i gotta fix the speedo too. i wasnt lugging it persay, i was using it like i tune a 4l60e to go locked at 55mph-ish when just cruising, then rolling into it.

I am going to soften up the rear shocks as well, as a radial doesnt really squish too much, so i need a little more weight transfer.

2021 Charger Scat 392

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

this was the situation for the last monthish since the trans temp fiasco when cruising more than a few miles. think i got it sorted now. removed the horizontal mounted permacool and installed a 30000 gvwr rv bar and plate like frank would tell me to use back in the day, mounted to rad directly so it always gets airflow. also installed my innovative wiring battery cables and a lt4 mini starter i had laying around as the cvr loosened and cocked sideways, causing it to chip teeth and grind. finally installed my burkhardt bumper support.

Took for a ride today, 33 miles, bunch of 3rd gear hits and a few dig hits, trans temp didnt exceed 180f. normally it wouldve been over 200 after a few 3rd gear hits while rolling, so i think we got it sorted

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 08-11-2022 at 09:40 AM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Are you using those filters as cabin filters? They're a little big but probably get the job done.

Nice job with the trans cooler upgrade!

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

18. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by harner View Post
    Are you using those filters as cabin filters? They're a little big but probably get the job done.

Nice job with the trans cooler upgrade!
    lmao tapa wont let me delete it

2021 Charger Scat 392

Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast