Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: 6-71 on a LT1?

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Nupa1
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro Z28

Default 6-71 on a LT1?

Hi all.

As a coming winters project Im planning to put a 94 LT1 into my 72 Catalina convertible. Few questions though on the built and specifically on forced induction as that is completely new to me.
    I have read topics on "how much boost can a stock LT1 handle", but Ill ask it here once again, just to be sure.

But first, has anyone put a 6-71 or 8-71 on a LT1? If someone has, any tips for modifying the intake?

I have a internally stock 94 LT1 (milage unknown) converted to carb with CompCams XR276HR https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-ener...all-block.html Everything else stock. I have no plans on opening it up whatsoever as it was checked over when the carb conversion was made last winter.
    In addition it has a noisy gear drive, but it is not noisy enough.
    In order to get more whine and looks Im thinking on putting a 6-71 on top.
    According to this article https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/cc...3-small-block/ max boost would be 3 psi with 51/63 gears which would be quite enough for me (for now at least) as my plan is not max power/torque but to make the Cat look badass.

Just for the looks, for now. If at some point I want power Ill do the internals accordingly, but for now the 3 psi would suffice.

So, will it handle the 3 psi with the current cam or how likely is that something will brake? What will give?

The article gives a good list of everything needed, but as said - forcing is completely new to me so advise and tips are welcome.

Also a tranny question, Im planning on using the current BOP400, will it last? Or should I go stright for a prepped TH700? Fuel milage would be better on the 4speed, but...?

Thanks.

I don't think the cam will be an issue.

Are you planning on running carbs on top of blower or switching to a EFI setup?

I would recommend taking the lower intake from the blower and having a machine shop alter the holes for LT1 head mounting. Then you will have to figure out the belt, unsure of how that will clear things and or, what crank pulley you will need to adapt to LT1.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Nupa1
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro Z28

Carbs.
    Crank pulley/clearance issues should not be a problem since optispark is deleted (converted to HEI) and even water pump (CSR 901LT1) can be relocated if need be.