Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Default Regearing a jag rear….. advice before I start

Ok, following everyone’s advice on doing gears before converter I have gone ahead and ordered a bunch of stuff, probably would be cheaper to farm it out, but like the guy the guy in the video I’m going to ask people to watch ( to tell me if he’s got everything and or missed anything I should know) I want to do as
    Much of the wrench turning on my car as I can!!!
    I have ordered every part number he says, and got the Dana 3:73 gears. I haven’t ordered a shim pack yet as it’s one of
    my questions……
    here is the link if anyone has the time to watch it.. if not I will still move forward, but might get stopped awaiting on a part that’s not mentioned etc

now my first question on the shim pack, is it carrier specific? Housing specific? Or gear specific? It’s a jag Salisbury diff, will have auburn gear lsd and Dana 44 gears….

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Ok, this isn’t off to a great start, been refunded my money from company I ordered the auburn gear carrier from as they say it’s not available, found another company that claimed they had it, then I get email saying expect delay in shipping as it’s coming direct from manufacturer, guess I’m waiting regardless because I also go email from kegs saying both the gears and the yoke are back ordered……. More to follow if I ever get my parts….

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

It sounds liked a fabbed 8.8 or 9" may be the fastest route lol. Good luck, delays really suck!

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

LTX Regular

Status

Another option is to buy a pumpkin from a salvage yard and just bolt it in. I believe almost all will interchange and will be a Salisbury unit. Get one from a '93-96 XJS as most were 3.54 power locks. I used one from '95 with the 3.54 PL and run a Yank SS 3600 convertor. Quite the combo but you'll need some tires. I just put new ones on mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lt1-xjs; 09-04-2021 at 03:08 PM.
    '89 Jaguar XJS w/'93 z/28 eng. & trans. 12.82 @ 104 1.74 60' 3900#

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Sorry for delay in responding, I tried looking for pumpkins and most of the ones I found were 2.88 just like mine and they wanted a small fortune for them, plus I wasn’t sure which newer model
    Ones were compatible, as they have outboard brakes and speed sensors etc, so I ordered everything on the above listed you tube video, finally got the last piece in on Monday!! ( or so I though, still need to order ring gear bolts) being as we are now approaching the holidays, the regard Will likely wait until the week between Christmas and New Years as I’m off that week.
    I
    However going to be trying to sort the tune out form once gears are done, but will post my questions on that in the pcm section.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Totally above my pay grade!!! Lol
    So I finally got the rear out of the car( was amazed how quick and easy it was, and got it all taken apart,
    Even stripped the pumpkin! And that as far as I got!!! Decided that this is an area that needs a pro! So pumpkin and all associated parts are at a 4x4 shop!!! I have a few other things to sort in the mean time, one of the trailing arms front bushing completely separated, now I have to try to get remaining piece off of the nub on the body! One of my shocks totally came apart, and I need to build a trolley of some Sort that will support cage and jack Will Fit under, that beast was heavy!
    Also need to sort out a sheared bolt that bolts axle shaft to output shaft, redo the parking brake pads, replace all bushings! I have plenty to keep me busy!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darrenmb For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Only took a month, but I finally got the diff back, started putting it all
    Together and am now at a standstill Neil I can find a tiny part! The breather vent on diff cover snapped off, wondering if I can just get a generic one at a parts store? Or if I need the same
    Kind it had !!! Other than that I’m ready to stab this bitch back in the car!!!4C570D89-126A-48DE-BA3E-09C1C68F9CD1.jpeg093E3DD8-C48C-4012-9084-3D0C0CD87156.jpeg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darrenmb For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Just a thought, but maybe it would be easier to take the cover off and have a fitting welded on? Then the sky is the limit for what you want to connect to it.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

11. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Got it sorted, threads are 18/ pipe, got an elbow, and added a Chevy breather. Got her all
    Back in the car, just need to reattach the exhaust and bleed the brakes,, Can’t wait to get it out and see / feel the difference!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Darrenmb For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Those inboard disc brakes bring back memories. I had a 1975 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT with inboard discs, and more than one person looked at my open 4-spoke wheels and asked “why doesn’t that car have any rear brakes?”. The Alfa was further complicated by having the clutch and trans in the rear.
    Last edited by Injuneer; 03-29-2022 at 07:13 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast