Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Default Thinking about putting a higher stall converter in.....

Hello everyone, been a while since I posted here, and (knock on wood) everything is fine with car! I have however noticed that sometimes once car is moving and I punch it, engine struggles a little before it hits about 3000 rpm then really pushes me back in seat, other times, it’s will downshift and be fine! My assumption here is that I need a better torque converter, car is 83 jag xj6 with 2:88 rear end running 94 Pontiac firebird formula drivetrain, with a few mods, hot cam, 1.6 roller rockers, dual exhaust with h pipe, cold air intake, and a tune by Moe, the. Converter i am looking at is a tank stealth thrust 3000,
    am I on the right track????? I do also have to really keep foot planted on brake pedal to keep car still at idle in drive!

thanks for any help on this, dot want to waste my
    Money using wrong thing!!

Darren

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

What is the converter in it now?
    Lock up converter?
    Car have a tune?
    Is it commanding lock up?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Stock converter, yes it’s a lockup and locking when it’s supposed to, yes it has a tune!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Rear gears would be a hell of an upgrade as well, if possible.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

5. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

CPT

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenmb View Post
    Hello everyone, been a while since I posted here, and (knock on wood) everything is fine with car! I have however noticed that sometimes once car is moving and I punch it, engine struggles a little before it hits about 3000 rpm then really pushes me back in seat, other times, it’s will downshift and be fine! My assumption here is that I need a better torque converter, car is 83 jag xj6 with 2:88 rear end running 94 Pontiac firebird formula drivetrain, with a few mods, hot cam, 1.6 roller rockers, dual exhaust with h pipe, cold air intake, and a tune by Moe, the. Converter i am looking at is a tank stealth thrust 3000,
    am I on the right track????? I do also have to really keep foot planted on brake pedal to keep car still at idle in drive!

thanks for any help on this, dot want to waste my
    Money using wrong thing!!

Darren
    gears before converter in that car imho. get the ratio around 3.42-3.73 and then start thinking about a converter
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

CPT

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

I would love to do gears, and you would think information on them would be all over the place being as jag rear ends were used for hot rods through the years! But everything I read contradicts something else I read, I have Salisbury pumpkin, which some say will take Dana gears others say no, some say Dana bearings, other say expensive jag only bearings!!!! If anyone knows of a place with correct info please let me know!
    I have thought about just buying another rear end from an xjs that has 3:42, but can’t find any!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darrenmb For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

I found another 2.88 lsd close to me, only want 150 for it, thinking I will go get it and then I can get it sorted without any downtime of the car, looks like I can get a 3:54 Dana ring and pinion, but will need special
    Bolts , etc, I like the idea of figuring out without taking car off road!!! 150 bucks is worth it, even if I totally butcher it by mistake!!
    Plus it will give the the opportunity to replace the parking brake pads, which are impossible to get out without dropping entire rear end! Or so I’m told,

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Darrenmb For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I found another 2.88 lsd close to me, only want 150 for it, thinking I will go get it and then I can get it sorted without any downtime of the car, looks like I can get a 3:54 Dana ring and pinion, but will need special
    Bolts , etc, I like the idea of figuring out without taking car off road!!! 150 bucks is worth it, even if I totally butcher it by mistake!!
    Plus it will give the the opportunity to replace the parking brake pads, which are impossible to get out without dropping entire rear end! Or so I’m told,
    sounds like a plan
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

How difficult would it be to make an 8.8 or 9" work?

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Nothing goes as planned!! Couldn’t get rear end last weekend, been pushed to this weekend!!! Have to pull it out of the car in situ. Not going to be fun! In a junk yard that’s got dirt and sand floor!!! Will climb under mine before I go and know exactly what needs to be undone/ removed !! With a sawzall ( for exhaust, that snakes through the cage) and dewalt impact I should be able to get it out in about an hour, assuming of course I can get car high enough!!
    Wish me luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast