Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks guys, I got confused with the wiring aspect considering bypassing factory is just looping the wires.

I currently have the switch fed with 12v and if the holley dash sees that 12v it flashes low oil light.

Just needed to confirm I had it wired correctly
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

well now i know its normally open with oil lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Master

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    well now i know its normally open with oil lol

Hey, My bad on that. I told you the switch state ass backwards. Also when I was able to get out in my shop I did some research in the '97 factory manual. While the '97 instrument cluster changed and the pinout changed, the low oil wire still goes directly to the cluster. I know I've seen it going to the PCM before on later models(like 2000 up).
    Sorry for the incorrect info. Memory ain't as good as it used to be. Maybe I should just stick with the mouse and stay off the keyboard.
    Nolan
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOATMON View Post
    Hey, My bad on that. I told you the switch state ass backwards. Also when I was able to get out in my shop I did some research in the '97 factory manual. While the '97 instrument cluster changed and the pinout changed, the low oil wire still goes directly to the cluster. I know I've seen it going to the PCM before on later models(like 2000 up).
    Sorry for the incorrect info. Memory ain't as good as it used to be. Maybe I should just stick with the mouse and stay off the keyboard.
    Nolan
    no no, i told him the wrong direction, youre good man

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Yea I was just assuming switch I have was bad since I thought it was going to be NC.

Next oil change I will figure out how many quarts are needed to turn off light.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

SNM, You could trigger a relay with the switch and wire your dash light to the normally closed contacts on the relay (30 and 87A) to make it operate correctly.
    (Relay on with full level of oil, relay off with low oil level)
    Nolan
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.

If the switch is normally open when full of oil and closed when empty, then I am all set with how I have it wired up

LTX Master

Status

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    If the switch is normally open when full of oil and closed when empty, then I am all set with how I have it wired up
    NO, It's just the opposite. Switch closed with oil level full, switch opens on low oil level. Remember that on the factory setup the switch is not actually turning on the light. It is sending a on-off input to the solid state module in the instrument cluster. The solid state module is what turns on the low oil light based on the input it receives from the switch. Remember I corrected myself because I originally described the switch action ass backwards. If you don't have continuity across the switch with a full oil level, then you have a bad switch.
    Nolan
    Last edited by JOATMON; 04-18-2021 at 06:51 AM.

Oooof, alright, well, guess I will snag a new switch when I change the oil and do some wiring changes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12