Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LT4 Rockers - - only the stock cam and HC?

I picked up an LT4 last week. It is said that only the stock cam and the hotcam can work with the stock LT4 rockers torque to yield bolts like the Buick 3800s ( no valve lash setting reqd). But maybe my understanding is off. Does anyone know the answer? Hotcams used to be given away, now only $900 kits have them. Id love to hear of a cam like the 227 being able to work.
    1994 TRANS AM GT: A4,3.23 / Cai / Borla exhaust / Strano Springs / Koni Yellows
    ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43&dateline=123810500  2

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by El Super Kevbot View Post
    I picked up an LT4 last week. It is said that only the stock cam and the hotcam can work with the stock LT4 rockers torque to yield bolts like the Buick 3800s ( no valve lash setting reqd). But maybe my understanding is off. Does anyone know the answer? Hotcams used to be given away, now only $900 kits have them. Id love to hear of a cam like the 227 being able to work.
    Waht? LT4 roller rockers are just crane gold 1.6 roller rockers made for gm and not gold. they should be used with aftermarket rocker studs these days, with proper valve lash set up.

I see what this says "Factory LT4's use a stepped 10mm stud and there is no adjustment.

The GM Performance Parts LT4 rocker kit uses a 3/8 stud and they are adjustable.

The GM Performance Parts Hot Cam is ground on a base circle so that the heel of the cam lobe is the same distance as the factory cam - that way the lifter pre load will be the same when a factory GM LT4 rocker is TQ'd down against the stepped stud."

you could use them with a plethora of moderate lift/duration cams. the spring pressure is what would break the rocker most likely. sounds like from the above description you can use them with a regular lock and regular 3/8" stud.

Or just buy new rockers, as rockers arent that much money (scorpions work fine)
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 03-28-2021 at 07:21 PM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

It just seems like such a kindergarten way to do a cam that its so hard to resist doing it. I mean why not? I'll get 30whp, the stock tune works fine. Maybe 10hp more with a tune. Just the simplicity of it must be experienced. Again, finding a cheap Hotcam

I actually have scorp 1.7s that I've never used.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

It just seems like such a kindergarten way to do a cam that its so hard to resist doing it. I mean why not? I'll get 30whp, the stock tune works fine. Maybe 10hp more with a tune. Just the simplicity of it must be experienced. Again, finding a cheap Hotcam

I actually have scorp 1.7s that I've never used.
    stock tune does not work fine for a lt4 hotcam. i have ran it before, it will need to be properly tuned. the lt4 cars had a different tune with the hotcam
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

Not from all ive read. 10hp. And idles that still burns retinas. What did your hotcam gain from a tune?

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Not from all ive read. 10hp. And idles that still burns retinas. What did your hotcam gain from a tune?
    gain? the gain was from the cam change from a stock cam to a hotcam, where i went from 297whp to 336whp, all other things equal. the car would not idle with a stock lt1 tune and a hotcam.
    2021 Charger Scat 392

According to your sig, you have an Lt1 with a hotcam. No arguments with you about that. But that's not what I'm asking.

I have an LT4. My original question was if any other cam was made to run the stock LT4 torque to spec rockers. So far, none.

Yea cause its a cheesy way to skirt actually thinking and adjusting rockers properly.

Just forget the torque to spec method and adjust rockers like every SBC has done. Its not that hard.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

According to your sig, you have an Lt1 with a hotcam. No arguments with you about that. But that's not what I'm asking.

I have an LT4. My original question was if any other cam was made to run the stock LT4 torque to spec rockers. So far, none.
    Man, i guess i should update that. this is the 6th or 7th lt1 powered car i am building. doesnt have a cam yet, that was the plan. but ill just call lloyd, like i always do.

I have ran a full oem lt4 hotcam in the past, thats where my experience comes from, like 3 cars ago. with the gm branded 1.6 roller rockers, lt4 hotcam, etc.

Why you would want to run any cam with the stock torque to spec rockers is the real question, and why do a cam swap for 10hp. that is the elephant in the room

good luck
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 04-12-2021 at 01:39 PM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast