Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Default sending unit shorted out....

well that was scary... started tuning my idle and after a couple starts the pump stopped working. pulled it out and the connector shorted out and even dropped a spark onto the fuel filter... also no clue why everything rusted to shit. i pulled the old 255lph pump out a few years ago and it was clean. and that was with 10 year old gas in it.

sendingunit.jpgpump.jpg

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Ethanol content of E10 pump gas picks up moisture and causes corrosion.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Ethanol content of E10 pump gas picks up moisture and causes corrosion.
    i just dont know why it did that in such a short period of time. unless me draining the tank and putting a new pump in, then not filling it with gas for awhile.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

On the other hand, I have a "new" sending unit (frame only, no pump) that I bought to get a new level sensor, 20 years ago when they were not available separately. Just sitting in my garage it has started to corrode.

I haven't started my Formula in more than 5 years. I hate to think of what the old gas - a blend of pump gas and VP Fuels C16 + Air Race - may have done to the modified tank, dual pumps (one in tank, one outboard off a sump on the stock tank), billet fuel filter, outboard FPR, and 74# injectors. I won't start it until I clean the fuel system, and I'm getting too old to crawl around under and over the car.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    On the other hand, I have a "new" sending unit (frame only, no pump) that I bought to get a new level sensor, 20 years ago when they were not available separately. Just sitting in my garage it has started to corrode.

I haven't started my Formula in more than 5 years. I hate to think of what the old gas - a blend of pump gas and VP Fuels C16 + Air Race - may have done to the modified tank, dual pumps (one in tank, one outboard off a sump on the stock tank), billet fuel filter, outboard FPR, and 74# injectors. I won't start it until I clean the fuel system, and I'm getting too old to crawl around under and over the car.
    thanks but i just bought this.
    https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/ge...-93-97-camaro/

figured how rusty everything was i should probably replace the tank and pump. sad the pump has maybe 10 minutes on it.
    plus the gm sending unit scares me since it shorted out inside the tank.