Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

The Nitrous Outlet Junkie

Status
    Name
    Troy
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

Default Electric vacuum pumps

So I was considering putting a vacuum pump on my turd
    I know when people add vacuum pumps that can help eliminate oil leaks and can also increase horsepower a little bit because it helps seal the piston rings. When I built my motor I put forged internals and it without boring it so my engine block probably has around 170,000 miles on it so I'm sure it's a little bit egg-shaped and letting a little bit of blow by happen.

So I've seen on some of the newer vehicles like the fifth generation V6 Camaros and some of the newer Ford trucks have an electric vacuum pump to help the brake booster I was wondering if anybody has retrofit something like that to the valve covers to help draw a little vacuum in the crankcase.
    94 Formula "budget build" #thebeaterbird
    10.177 @128.31 on a lil 250 shot
    350, LT1, carb, LE grind cam, th400, 4k stall, ford 8.8 w/ 4.10s

10 Second N/A Club

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    96 Z28

I've heard of guys modifying the air pump from the emissions system and using it as a vaccum pump. I don't know how much if any vaccum it would pull and I doubt it'd last too long unless you could filter the oil mist out of it. The best route is an actual belt driven vaccum pump made to pull crankcase vaccum. GZ Motorsports makes a decent one taht can be used on the street. You might be able tot find one used for a good price.

If you decide to try one of the electric versions post up your results, I'd be intresteed to see how it does.
    -Josh
    co-owner of BDBRacing.com
    NMCA OC 9004
    96, N/A 385, Holley EFI, Faceplated M6, AI TFS heads, LE SR cam, MWC Fab 9
    10.16 @ 136 1.50 60'........still workin on that 60' shootin for 1.4's!

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

Dealing with the same stock bore forged piston issue. Except I'm pushing oil out of distributor seal and valve cover bolts but not filling my catch can. Was thinking about getting the jegs electric vac pump.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1995 Formula 383/t56 gone
    1993 Camaro Z28, forged, TFS heads, solid roller, prosystems carbed, t56 swapped spec 3+
    "Nitrous is like Tara Reid with an STD. You want to hit it, but your afraid of the consequences"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 95formula383lt1 For This Post: