Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

LTX Member

Status

Default Need a rebuild soon on original motor 170,000 miles, having trouble finding parts

Hey guys. Long time no speak. I went off to college and couldn't work on the camaro for a few years.

Seems much has changed since I have been gone. Here's the thing, I've come to love the lt1 engine and am going to be stubborn about using it over an ls swap in my 96' z28.

So here's the deal. I've got low compression. Rings are bad. So, I've always wanted a forced induction car with 500-650whp. Sad thing is, when I was younger I had no income for parts.

Now, seems they're all discontinued except for Eagle rotating assemblies (and only cranks and rods, can't find any pistons except for brands I've never heard of before through summit racing).

Want to do Advanced Induction ported heads and intake, custom cam, all the fancy top end stuff (double valve springs, 58mm TB), forged bottom and a procharger through a t56 6-speed and LSD 10-bolt rear diff. I'd be happy with 550whp on a p1-sc or 650whp pn a d1sc. And that's as far as I want to take it.

Got Strano suspension on it, ls1 style steering rack, gonna get a wilwood 4-piston caliber brake kit for the front. Have 17x 11 zr1 rears and will order 17x9.5 zr1 replicas for the front with some r888's all the way around.

Building a 'pro-street' style build! That's my vision for it. Basically shooting for stock lamborghini-ish performance numbers for a great price!

It's a t-top car, which is so cool. Dash is in good shape. Full option car from 96'. Will add an aluminum ls1 driveshaft and some umi suspension pieces and call it a day.

I was hoping I wouldn't need Eagle/off-brand internals though?! Any Callies, Lunati or Weisco stuff out there anymore?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fleetfeet2004 For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

You should be able to find any component still. You may not find a package per se, but individually, I'm positive there are plenty of options out there still as the LT1 uses essentially Small Block Chevy stuff. Don't knock the eagle stuff too bad either though. I've had a set of H-Beam rods they made in my 377 LS3 motor in my Corvette since 2009 making anywhere from 900-1100 crank HP. They make good stuff on a budget.

If you're going to go the FI route.......I'd do an AI top end on a 355 bottom end (stock crank, forged rods/pistons), toss the D-1SC at it, and call it a day. Should be around 550-600 RWHP all day long depending on how much boost you feed it. Run a stock lines fuel system with a Hobbs activated dual pump setup, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and some 80lb injectors. More than enough fuel for your goals there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Talk to Gail @ @American-Powerhouse - I believe she actually has LT1 rotating assembly packages if you want to DIY it.

https://american-powerhouse.com/

The other alternative is to have Karl Ellwein build you an LT1. He will make or exceed your goals and build it right.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

CPT

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

Thank you.

Yes, I do. I only recommend and sell forged kits from SCAT. The kits on my site are for NA.

But the kits can be tweaked to accommodate a power adder.

You can see them here...

https://american-powerhouse.com/t/scat-enterprises

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CPT For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Want to do Advanced Induction ported heads and intake, custom cam, all the fancy top end stuff (double valve springs, 58mm TB), forged bottom and a procharger through a t56 6-speed and LSD 10-bolt rear diff.
    Sticking with the stock 10-bolt rear is questionable with that kind of HP, and a T56 drivetrain.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

Fleetfeet, If you get in the market for a short or long block, this Man does great work. https://golenengineservice.com/lt1-performance-engines/
    He built the short block that's in my '97. It was purchased by the previous owner of my car. Originally built as a 383 the PO had his mechanic complete the engine. They had the stock heads ported and somebody heli-coiled a spark plug hole and forgot to break the tab off the heli-coil. When the spark plug was installed the tab broke off and fell into the cylinder. It tore up that cylinder. He shipped it back to Golen and they brought the bore up to .040 and installed new pistons. They only charged the man for the parts and the shipping and did the labor for free. The PO died not long after I bought the car leaving me without alot of detail on the build. I later emailed Golen and he found the file on the engine and gave me all the specifics on the short block. Chad Golen is a good man in my book.
    Last edited by JOATMON; 07-14-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.