Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

Default aftermarket fans on stock shroud?

hi Guys, i was messing around with the rad/shroud setup in my car and noticed that the stock fans are removable. just wondering if anyone has installed aftermarket slimmer fans on the stock shroud. the stock fans by themselves are 5" thick so i am thinking if i can get a 3" or even slimmer fan on the stock shroud i will have clearance for the turbo. just trying to avoid pusher fans if i can, searched around and didn't find anything on this

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

I have a front mount turbo and could not install pullers, even the slim ones, the pushers are not working well, but I still have the stk rad so basically 3 times the factory horsepower is
    one reason.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

my turbo is mounted on the front driver side corner of the engine, so its not a center front mount. thinking about it more i might just need one fan for the driver side if the pass side fan clears. after work today i'm going to test fit it with the pass side fan on the shroud and see what room i have, would be sweet to only need one fan. still interested in experiences or opinions about slimmer fans on the stock shroud as opposed to pusher fans which i haven't seen much positives about besides just no room behind the rad

20190320_181409.jpg

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

For what it's worth, when I had the turbo kit on my car I ran derale pushers. My car with those and a BeCool radiator didn't have any cooling issues after I stood the intercooler upright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

Don't forget you will want a large filter on that, so that will eat up some space as well.

Stock fans are better than most, if not all aftermarket stuff, so if you can fit em.. run em.

As fastbird, I run pushers in front of radiator and while they work, its never gonna be as good as OEM stuff IMO.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

well as i thought the pass side fan fits, but there isn't enough room on the driver side for anything especially with a filter on the turbo.... so back to square 1. i can put a turbo screen on instead of the filter to get some more room but i don't think it will be enough. anyone have any ideas? can i put a pusher on that side and keep the puller on the other?

20200527_195104.jpg20200527_195128.jpg

I would rather sacrifice fan flow and have two pushers than sacrifice flow through turbo. Thats a tiny filter.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem