Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Thread: Cam Install

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jake D Janssen
    Vehicle
    1995 Pontiac Firebird formula

Default Cam Install

It seems the dowel pin for my new cam is too short. It just protrudes far enough to come flush with the end of the cam gear and leaves nothing to drive the opti. The dowel is much shorter than stock. Any idea how I can remove this dowel and get a longer one pressed in? I also noticed there is a small amount of horizontal play (parallel with the crank axis) of 0.057" in the cam after the retainer is installed, is this normal?

I put the stock cam back in and it only walks 0.015". Something doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by Jakegsxr11; 05-11-2020 at 03:30 PM.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jake D Janssen
    Vehicle
    1995 Pontiac Firebird formula

Lunati said the end play was not an issue. I removed the old dowel and got a new one in.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jakegsxr11 View Post
    It seems the dowel pin for my new cam is too short. It just protrudes far enough to come flush with the end of the cam gear and leaves nothing to drive the opti. The dowel is much shorter than stock. Any idea how I can remove this dowel and get a longer one pressed in? I also noticed there is a small amount of horizontal play (parallel with the crank axis) of 0.057" in the cam after the retainer is installed, is this normal?

I put the stock cam back in and it only walks 0.015". Something doesn't seem right.
    once you have the oil pump drive in along with driveshaft and oil pump, your end play will go down.

the dowel swap thing is normal. i screwed up one time and cut down the dowel for a spline drive opti, then decided to go to a pin drive opti, had to break off and drill out the dowel and put a new one in.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro Z28

I had the same thing. Lunati sent my cam with the short dowel. After contacting them, they shipped me the correct size dowel, then i just took it to a local shop to replace and press in the new one.