Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: Engine Cooling

Default Engine Cooling

Trying to envision in my head how I could run two pumps in parallel while maintaining one of them as the factory housing.

My thought was to Y out of the rad and form two hoses in place of the #1 hose. Then one goes to factory pump and another hits a remote pump which then feeds factory pump.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jake D Janssen
    Vehicle
    1995 Pontiac Firebird formula

I'm assuming you are attempting to increase flow. If that is what you are wanting then both pumps will be fed from the radiator with a y fitting and both will discharge to a y fitting. I don't think you want to pipe the second pump outlet to the original pump inlet as all the fluid will still be going through the one pump with the same flow rate you have now possibly at a higher pressure.

That is the hope and I think as you pointed out, unless I remove the factory housing I will always be running the pumps in series. Which is not what I want.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

I thought about doing this by either drilling into the factory water pump housing legs or drilling into water pump spacers with 4 holes total. If I understand it correctly, you'd need 2 Y's. One for the lower passages on the block (exits), the other for the uppers (entrances, head passages). Then run a remote Meziere WP with some sort of check valve in between those 2 Y's.

I'm not sure how that affects the thermostat. I'd have to look at a spare WP housing to understand it more.
    Last edited by Catmaigne; 05-09-2020 at 03:50 PM.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    Trying to envision in my head how I could run two pumps in parallel while maintaining one of them as the factory housing.

My thought was to Y out of the rad and form two hoses in place of the #1 hose. Then one goes to factory pump and another hits a remote pump which then feeds factory pump.

i really dont understand why you are having so many temp issues with this car. plenty of people with turbos/superchargers, fat intercoolers, etc do not have issues with simple electric water pumps in stock housings.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Beats me.

Its def air flow related, so I have a direction at least.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

what about running a smaller second radiator... like transmission cooler that you could put in a good airflow area.

Bumping this up. Car is running good so I am itching to ruin it.

If I make plates that bolt to where WP housing goes, and Y the top two ports, then Y the bottom two ports.

The top ports at the heads, are fed via the bottom of the radiator, and the bottom ports at the block is the return which heads to top of radiator?

Update, gonna scrap the idea of removing water pump.

Plan is to pull EWP from housing, slap factory cover back on, seal the bypass hole in housing and ditch the thermostat.

Parts should be here next week.

Making problems to solve is what I do best.