Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1998 Firebird

Default 1995 3.4/3x00 Camaro engine into 98 Trans Am Shell

Hey guys,
    Little bit of a backstory on the build and why the swap is even happening. I got a 1995 Camaro with the 3.4L/5 speed back in 2010 as my first car. Like most teenagers I drove it hard and ending up blowing a head gasket. Life got busy and I got another daily but kept the camaro as a project. I pulled the motor and decided to do the top end swap that alot of people look into and give up on. It took a few years (6 or 7 ) but I finally got it finished up and back in. While working on the tune, we noticed a bad oil leak under the car and it looked like it was oil mixing with coolant and my first thought was the headgaskets. I decided instead of tearing it back down myself I'd take it into a shop and have a pro diagnose it and repair it. Turns out it wasn't the head gaskets and it wasn't coolant, but fuel mixing with the oil due to the rich tune. The leak turned out to be the distributor block off seal cracking so it was an easy fix. The thing is, the car sat for over 7 years so the body was in ROUGH shape. Needed paint badly, there was surface rust all over the bottom of the car and the suspension pretty much all needed to be replaced. All of these factors contributed to us decided the best route would be to find another shell. I wanted to stick with an LT1 body style to keep the swap simple, but I found an incredible deal on a 1998 Trans Am roller that I couldn't pass up. 70k miles on the body but it came across the border and went through a bunch of repairs for the VI it was issued. Suspension was all less than a year a old, the rear end was serviced 2 months before I bought it, tires had 90% tread, brakes all have less than 1k miles on them, and the bottom of the car was cleaned and recoated. The car was an automatic that had the engine and tranny removed for another swap.

Enough about the car, let's get to the swap. I had the shop pull the 3.4/3400 engine and the 5 sp tranny and had them both swapped over to the trans am shell. The shop decided to wait until we were over 2k into it before letting me know that there may be issues with the wiring. I know my way around these cars as I've been a member on other forums for years, but I'm really stuck with the wiring issues I'm running into. In the engine bay the 3.4L harness has a single C100 connector while the 98 Trans am front harness has 3 connectors (C100, C101, C105). I've looked at the pin-outs and what each wire does, but I'm not sure how to go about adapting the 3-1. In the interior of the car where the 3.4 Harness comes through, there's 1 connector that doesn't have anything to plug into and it's the C210 connector which is responsible for the VATS starter solenoid, the ECM ground and the ECM battery feed. If I'm tuning out the VATS anyways, can I cut the connector off and just run a new ground and extend the ECM battery feed to the battery?

I'm just in way over my head on this than I thought, looking for some guidance so the shop doesn't completely fuck me over here.

Thanks,
    Johnny

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

im not sure as you are talking about a v6 swap, and i have never ever looked at the wiring for a v6 (it is completely different than a lt1).
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1998 Firebird

The lt1 and the 3.4L from what I've seen in other swaps the engine harness where it connects to the c100 in the engine bay share the same pins. I'm thinking that I can make a 3-1 adapter to connect the 3 front harness connectors to the 1 from my engine and should be able to at least get it running