Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    LDM
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Default Stroker kit or new engine?

Well with the stay at home orders here in IL I've been thinking about finally getting around to building the 383 stroker motor that I've been wanting to do for the last few years. I have an old engine that I need to tear down and check to see if the block is usable. But once that is done, then I have to make the decision.

Are there any good LT1 stroker kits out there? I've done a few google searches but a lot of the stuff that comes up seems less the optimal. Ebay has some lower end kits that would probably be fine for a mild build but my plans are going to be on the higher end. I really want to build for a good 550-600 N/A with 200+ nitrous over the top for the track. I have no issue spending the money for this, I want parts that will hold up.

The other option would be buying a new block and finishing it with the necessary parts. I've seen the Golen LT1 engines, anyone have experience with them all? Most of the info I can find is more than 5 years old, which I suppose it to be expected considering how few people are building the LT1 anymore. I would prefer to stay with the LT1 in this case, rather than stick an LS in there despite the easier time finding parts. Any info is appreciated, this isn't a hard timeline project or anything. More of a planning phase.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

@Karl Ellwein is the king of LT1 builders. Gail @ @American-Powerhouse can sell you a stroker kit.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

3. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

5. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    LDM
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by harner View Post
    Thanks for the links, I will give them a look.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

i have a golen 383 in my car, have probably 10,000 miles on it over the last 6 years with no issues. chad is a good guy and was more than helpful with any questions i had and i was even able to stop by the shop while my motor was being built (his shop is 5 minutes form my work). have also heard good things about karl but have no experience with him

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Vehicle
    01 Chevy Corvette C5/05 Dodge Ram 1500

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Thanks for the links, I will give them a look.
    Thank you for the recommendation @harner
    @LDM , if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Gail C. Cahall
    Founder
    American-Powerhouse, LLC
    www.american-powerhouse.com

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Chad and Karl also have a relationship. karl sources alot of blocks pre machined from chad.

What I can say for karl is, the motor he built for us has had the literal crap kicked out of it, thru bad tunes, more boost, overrev's etc and has not missed a beat. the amount of attention, care, and cleanliness of karl rivals nascar engine builders. I watched the man change gloves between touching each part, just to avoid any possibility of cross contamination. His ocd really helps as well. lol

Either way you would be satisified. Also Gail is great and if you want to build it yourself, i would definitely go thru gail for a out of the box stroker setup
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!