Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Default Help with two codes...

Hello again....
    Well, everything is running great on my swap, sort of... engine is a screamer ( conpared to what was in jag beforehand anyways) but I have two codes, a 97 and an 83, been reading up on both and the 97 is read it correctly is due to no speedo being hooked up, , i have an email into Dakota digital as i was originally going to get the sgi 5e as it can convert the 4000 ppm from.pcm.to 8000 that speedo needs, however need to make sure it will also eliminate the code, i have read that adding a 1k ohm resistor to 12.volt ignition source hooked up to the not connected speedo wire will clear the code, but doesn't help me make my speedo work. Unless. This is where you guys come in with other ideas... i terminate the pcm to speedo wire with the resistor and bring new feed from before pcm up to the converter...

And the code 83 is confusing me a little too, as it says its for reverse inhibitor for 6 speed (or something along those lines) and wasn't used on autos until 95, of course im reading this on the net, so no telling whats right...
    Im trying to do my homework on this, i really am, dont like to.just ask questions thata sinple search could have answered...

Oh and by the way, vss is working fine as i can see speed on the scan9495.. i love that program!!!

As always, any advice greaty appreciated

Darren

Oh, car is 83 jag xj6 and drivetrain, harness, and pcm from 94 camaro actually a pontiac formula according to vin on the scan9495..

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Guess i should add ( because the 83 is saying tcc solenoid if i have 95) that i am really afraid to drive car out of neighborhood and get it up to a decent speed, as i only.have 3 lug nuts on one of the back wheel, and 4 on all the rest, but just going aroud large blocks, transmission is shifting at least to 3rd... if that helps

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Just curious.... have I given you the link to the free download of the 1994 factory service manual? With that, you can look the codes up and not have to rely on random questionable info from the internet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

DTC 83:

Are you sure you have a 1994 program in your 1994 PCM? The same PCM part # is used in the 1994 and 1995 models. It can be programmed for 1994, where:

DTC 83 = Reverse Inhibit System (Manual Transmission)

..... or it can be programmed for a 1995, where:

DTC 83 = Reverse Inhibit System (Manual Transmission)

or....

DTC 83 = TCC PWM Solenoid Fault (Automatic Transmission)

They added the auto trans definition in 1995, because that is the year they added the pulse width modulated (PWM) solenoid for the revised PWM convertor lockup, in placed of the switched lockup used in 1994..

Appears you may have a 1995 A4 program in the PCM. Are you using a 4L60E? What year is it from? The trans year and the PCM program have to be from the same year, or things aren't going to work right.

DTC 97:

DTC 97 = VSS Output Circuit (same definition for both 94 and 95)

The code sets when the PCM detects the wrong output potential (voltage) on circuit 817. Circuit 817 is NOT the feed from the VSS to the PCM. Circuit 817 is the PCM speed output signal from the PCM to the instrument panel (speedo/odo) and the cruise control module. You may have a perfectly fine signal from the VSS to the PCM (and the Dakota Digital box will not affect that - the one on my 94 worked fine), and the codes will set when there is a problem with the output from the PCM. You have to check the circuit from pin B8 on the PCM, and the wire from the PCM to the speedometer.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Forgot to add..... if the problem is between the VSS and the PCM, you would have DTC 24.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    DARREN BRANDON
    Vehicle
    1983 jaguar xj6

Thank you for the link, i do not know what year the transmission is, it is a 4l60e, entire drivetrain was sold to me as a 94, vin through scan 9495 says its a 94 car as well. Will read up some more,

Also as stated vss to pcm. Circuit is fine, as i can read mph in scan9495, so i need to check the pcm to cluster wire, which im not sure will prove anything , as thats the one thats not connected to anything.. unless like i read it needs that 1k ohm resistor to a 12 volt source... more.reading to do, thanks again for the link