Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

LTX Master

Status

Default Clutch choice poll

I'm looking at a replacing my clutch. ('97 f-Body T56). I currently have a Spec stage 2+. Although it hooks good, the chatter drives me nuts. It's real bad when cold and gets a little better when warmed up but still has some chatter. I'm fairly confident that I'm making at least 500 hp at the crank.
    I'm looking for a smooth operating clutch with zero chatter that will take the power. Has anyone here done some experimenting with different clutches and found the golden clutch for this power level?
    What specific clutch do you recommend?
    All input appreciated.
    Nolan
    Oh, I forgot, I know a McLeod Twin Disc is the best answer but the price has gone above the ceiling on them. They are just out of my budget as a retiree.
    Last edited by JOATMON; 02-25-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

I'm not making anywhere near that power but I beat my car hard and often at auto-X with 315 R-compounds on sticky concrete runways and have done some lapping days. I'm running an M-pact HD dual friction clutch from RockAuto and it works well. I get the tiniest bit of chatter if I'm slipping it a bit to slowly back into my barn but otherwise it's perfect daily driving. It may not be enough with the few hundred extra HP you have but I figured I'd throw that out there as a budget option.
    1995 Firebird Formula, M6, ram-air, C7 hubs, BMR/Strano/Founders/Koni suspension, bolt-ons, Recaros, 315 Nankang AR-1's
    2010 Corvette Grand Sport, A6, Kooks/Halltech, 418 rwhp
    1966 Mustang 289-2V, auto, factory original

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rentedmule For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

That Spec 2+ should be chatter free. I ran one of those for YEARS and it was an absolute dream to drive.

I have personal experience with the 3+ also......put one in a friends car, drove it quite a bit. Same as the 2+, smooth and quiet. That's what I'd go with and it's MORE than enough for your power level (my buddy was at the 600-700 RWHP level with it).

*edit* I'm curious. Who installed the 2+? How old is it? I'm concerned because that should be a chatter free clutch. It's very well designed for it's intended applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

Pr0jekt Turb0?

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

I also had a Spec 2+ many years ago with a stock resurfaced flywheel and had no chatter.
    -Ryan
    93 Z28 M28

Mod List

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Z28pr0jekt For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

^^X2
    I bought it as a poor build with alot of good parts. I bought it used and abused. The previous owner gave me a bit of info about the car and a folder full of receipts. He passed away not long after. He told me it was built with a Spec stage 3 but he hated the on or off action, like a light switch. He had a Spec stage 2+ disc put in but from ya'll experience with the stage 2's maybe the flywheel should have been cleaned up and a new PP too.
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.

LTX Master

Status

^^X2
    I bought it as a poor build with alot of good parts. I bought it used and abused. The previous owner gave me a bit of info about the car and a folder full of receipts. He passed away not long after. He told me it was built with a Spec stage 3 but he hated the on or off action, like a light switch. He had a Spec stage 2+ disc put in but from ya'll experience with the stage 2's maybe the flywheel should have been cleaned up and a new PP too.

LTX Master

Status

I'm posting again because this damned thing times out too fast for us old fuckers. Meissen please give us more time to type.
    Nolan

LTX Master

Status

Default twin disc

I may have found a cheaper way to go twin disc. McLeod has a T56 conversion package that converts to a push clutch setup with a hydraulic throwout bearing for alot less than the LT1 pull clutch which requires a different flywheel. So thats what I'm studying on now. I'm in a learning curve with the hp this thing is making. Thanks for the input so far.
    Nolan

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Unless you're pushing in excess of 600 or more at the tires, a street twin is gross overkill. Spec 3+ is super easy to drive, is NOT an on/off switch like the Spec 3 is.

With the street twin, unless you set it up and install it exactly right, it absolutely WILL be an on/off switch. Been there done that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

Pr0jekt Turb0?

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

Come to think of it, at one point I also had an SLP billet flywheel with the spec 2+ with no issues either (only trans issues that I never sorted). I wish I had an easy way to part out my car as I have a brand new mcleod twin disk with adjustable master that was installed but never ran but as Fastbird mentioned, that would be overkill for your setup.

One day I'll get to my storage unit and list the whole thing for sale for a STEAL but I'm lazy.
    -Ryan
    93 Z28 M28

Mod List

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Z28pr0jekt For This Post: