Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Default Out like a light.

Driving home the other day car dies just like the key turned off. Rush hour as well, pulled over try to restart no go. Waited a few then tried again cant get out too close to the traffic so something has to work. Turn key on off to hear fuel pump. Yes I hear it gage dose show fuel.But tach isnt moving it move like it has power but no more. Called AAA. Then tried again bang I move the car so I can get out. LSS got home and just today tried again started but after 10 min it died no issues just out like a light.Check to see if tach moves nope. Now my question is I need a new coil, icm, opti, car?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

The tach is driven based on the low resolution pulse from the Opti. The tach should move up 200-300 RPM while the engine is cranking.

No scanner? DTC 16 for loss of Opti low res pulse does not turn on the SES light.

Spark at the coil wire? At the plugs?

Test for Opti signals, using a multi-meter:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
    Last edited by Injuneer; 02-08-2020 at 06:07 PM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Thanks its pouring rain now. I remember reading somewhere you said this wasnt sure. I'll check it out . It intermittent though It will start now but shut off when ever.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stormyweather; 02-08-2020 at 07:33 PM.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Sound like when my ICM died once. Driving along and then poof, dead. Little while later, fired back up and lasted a few minutes, then poof, dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    Sound like when my ICM died once. Driving along and then poof, dead. Little while later, fired back up and lasted a few minutes, then poof, dead.
    Yup just like the key went out. Haven't tested it yet need my meter but its at work.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Ok engine dies after 15 min of running changed the coil and ICM. Changed the coil cause I was there. Runs still dies had it at 1200 rpm this time to see if there was a miss fire. Nope just like the key turned off just like before. Question will the opti just shut off? Cause when I'm cranking there isn't any tach pulse at the needle after it dies. you can hear the pump so any suggestions? Vats?
    Opti test?

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Yes. Opti module can lose internal connections when they heat soak. Particularly Chinese stuff. GaryDoug (author of Scan9495) has opened them up and repaired loose connections.

Fuel pump can also heat soak. Fuel pressure test gauge would identify that problem. But no tach movement seems to indicate the Opti. My statement of 200-300 RPM may be a little high. I've seen data logs and a video where the jump was barely to 175 RPM.

No access to a scanner? Scan9495 is useful, for only the cost of a cable.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Yeah my laptop needs to charge what am I looking for with Garydougs program?

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Codes. Data log of the engine trying to start.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Random thought........could the ignition switch be going out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast