Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    53 Chevy Truck (LT1 swap)

Default Engine Swap Wiring Harness Q's

Swapping a Caprice '94 LT1/4L60E into a '53 Chevy truck. Harness was butchered. Went to Pick-N-Pull and got a complete harness from a '96 Roadmaster.

According to LT1Swap.com I can interchange harnesses and PCM's. The PCM being used is the one from the '94.

So, biggest question, is - can anyone provide a layout of what connectors are for what on the '96 harness? I'm guessing I'll need to change some connectors. I have it laid out across the engine with the obvious connections made and plugged in at the transmission.

Thanks for any help. New to LT1's.

Josh Hucks

Biggest issue off hand I can think of is the 96 PCM will be looking for a crank sensor that is not there on the 1994 motor. I don't think it will cause major issues outside of a SES light.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

He indicates he is using the 94 Caprice PCM.

Shoebox has a detailed, labeled photo of a 95 F-Body harness. Doubt the Caprice is the same, but here's the link:

http://shbox.com/1/harness.htm
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    53 Chevy Truck (LT1 swap)

Thank you, I will keep trying to research. May just hold out for a ‘94 harness.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jhucks03 View Post
    Thank you, I will keep trying to research. May just hold out for a ‘94 harness.
    96 harness will plug right into a 94 pcm, pcm connectors are the same. you will just have unused stuff (rear o2's, crank sensor, different coil connection)
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Freddie Mendoza
    Vehicle
    1965 impala

I pulled a lt1 out of a 96 impala and want to drop it in my 65 impala. I have the pcm and harness what would my first step by to get power to the pcm

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    LDM
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 65IMPALA View Post
    I pulled a lt1 out of a 96 impala and want to drop it in my 65 impala. I have the pcm and harness what would my first step by to get power to the pcm
    Since this is going into a different vehicle, you'll need to get the wiring diagram for a 96 to determine which pin goes to what wire.

http://lt1swap.com/lt1_pcm_pinout.htm

That site has a good list of the pinouts. You'll need to connect the power and grounds to get the PCM powered up properly.