Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    LTX Member

Status
    Name
    scott
    Vehicle
    1997 ws6 trans am

i dont see any leaks coming from the water pump as this residue is more like a dirty water tan/brown i checked the water pump for leaks and found none. the ses light does come on when key is turned to the on position. as far as when the car was running the light didnt ever come on or flash on. with the ebay opti im not sure it was put on by the previous owner. the cable is showing up monday so im hoping i can log it and snip a screen pic and show the data of what the car is doing and go from there. last thing i want to do is throw a bunch of unnecessary parts at the car and become just a parts changer. i appreciate the input. one thing i did find last night is i pulled the connector out of the temp sensor located on the water pump and in one of the female prongs was lodged a piece of plastic i had to pry out of there. will try and get on it tonight but may be saturday since the wife wants a date night. thanks guys i appreciate the help a ton

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

There are codes that don't turn on the SES light.... e.g. DTC 16 for loss of the Opti low resolution signal. There are no OBD-1 codes that cause the SES light to flash, at least not that I have ever seen. The flashing light was added on OBD-2 when they added misfire detection.

Uploading a .csv format data log is a lot more useful than a screen shot.

As said, optis can be crap out of the box, a customer brought me a non running Camaro, scanned it, no codes, threw multiple tunes into it, did a SD tune and it still ran like crap, then on one scan it threw a lo res code but went away and never came back, customer took the car back home, replaced the opti and said it ran like a champ.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    scott
    Vehicle
    1997 ws6 trans am

i appreciate the feed back for sure. just looking at the opti its non vented and looks like a brownish stains and stuff out the bottom of it. im not saying its the opti but just looking at it looks like a cheap one. my cable should be here tomorrow. the plan was to do a to a torqhead conversion kit to it eventually i didnt know it would possibly be this soon into it lol

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

93 and 94 factory F-Body Opti's were unvented. Had problems with corrosion due to ozone generated by the high voltage discharge inside the sealed unit. The vent was added in 95 to eliminate the ozone. Mine (car purchased new in 94) started showing problems at maybe 45,000 miles. When I opened it up, was dry as a bone, but it was full of rust and the rust particles were blinding the optical sensor. The bearing was also badly worn.

Sounds like yours may have a leaking Opti drive seal in the timing cover.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    scott
    Vehicle
    1997 ws6 trans am

ok so i got the cable and software installed and ran it just not sure how to upload anything off of it. the only thing i can see is that my coolant temp is showing -40 while running. ive ran it a couple different times and it never changes. had a spare one and im guessing its the one in the water pump so i zip tied it to a hose and put the connector inside it and it still shows -40? im lost

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    scott
    Vehicle
    1997 ws6 trans am

and the check engine light is on now but when i pull up the dtc tab or on the scan it shows zero dtc.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    scott
    Vehicle
    1997 ws6 trans am

cel and coolant temp fixed. connector was bad.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

As a result, is the engine running better?

For future reference:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#ect

Odd you had no SES light initially, but it came on later. The code should show up in Scan9495. I can have the author take a look at this to see if you are doing things correctly, if you want. He could also explain how to export a .csv log. It's a very useful tool..

The -40°F reading is the result of an open circuit. The sensor is a thermistor - high temp produces low resistance, low temp produces high resistance. The PCM has a table of temp vs. voltage (as a result of resistance). An open circuit produces infinite resistance, and the table bottoms out at -40°F.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    scott
    Vehicle
    1997 ws6 trans am

i think what happened was the bad connection on the temp sensor turned the fans and ses light on but didnt throw an actual code? i fixed the connector and fans shut off and ran normal along with ses went off. as far as the car running it still seems stumbling but as i posted on the "data logging lean condition" post me and him are having close to the same symptoms and problems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast