Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Thread: steam line

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Default steam line

can i use the fitting on the left for my steam line from the head if i get rid of the hose on the right? did a stand up radiator and i dont have the fitting for it, and rather not get one welded in.

steam.jpg

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

or is there any other option besides having a fitting weld to the radiator? like teeing into the hose coming back from the heater core.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Here's the 94 heater hose diagram which shows the fitting on the left. In the stock 94 system, that hose is the return line from the heater to the water pump, and the sidestream off the tee runs to the throttle body bottom plate. Are you planning on keeping the throttle body coolant, or bypassing it? And if bypassing, would you use the side out of the tee to connect the steam line to it? In any case, you wouldn't want to dump steam or air bubbles into the water pump.

Here's the 94 radiator hose diagram. The small hose on the right in a stock setup would be connected to the outlet of the throttle body bottom plate, and Y's into the main return line to the radiator. That would be a better place to return the steam line, since the steam or air bubbles would dissipate in the radiator.

The stock radiator connection for the steam pipe, below the fill neck supposedly has a "liquid/vapor separator". How effective that is, I don't know. I have a Griffin LT1 aluminum radiator (stock style, not upright) and it has the steam pipe connection.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

i am bypassing the throttle body coolant.
    so are you saying it would be better to connect these two? then just block off the T fitting in heater hose?
    also i assume splicing into the line for the overflow tank would be a bad idea as well.
    Inked93-94_hoses_LI.jpg
    Last edited by blkchevyz; 01-23-2020 at 03:47 PM.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

also in the above picture i have hose 16 gone and the port on the water pump is blocked off.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

May I just make a note that you shouldn't fill the rad from the top and exit the top. So taking hose 16 out is a bad idea if tour not using the heater core just bypass it, run steam line to hose 14 by passing the TB . And yes the overflow is just that. don't run steam line there.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    May I just make a note that you shouldn't fill the rad from the top and exit the top. So taking hose 16 out is a bad idea if tour not using the heater core just bypass it, run steam line to hose 14 by passing the TB . And yes the overflow is just that. don't run steam line there.

16 is just the smaller line for the oil cooler. the radiator i have is setup the same sestup, it flows into it from the top on the driver side, and flows out at the bottom on the passenger.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Simply bypassing the throttle body will work on a 95-97, if you have a connection on the radiator, because the steam pipe flow is routed through the throttle body, then to the radiator steam pipe connection 93/94 the steam pipe goes directly to the radiator. Either way, if the aftermarket radiator doesn’t have a steam pipe connection, the blue line is about all you can do.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

ok i think i'll go that route thanks.