Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

LTX Master

Status

Default 4th gen f-body 3 channel abs reluctor ring tooth count

What is the correct tooth count on the rear end reluctor ring? Three-channel '97 f-body. I'm getting conflicting answers when I do a google search.
    I'm planning to install a new carrier and ring and pinion and want to make sure I order everything correct.
    Also I'm trying to figure out how to beat the pricing on the carrier. A detroit tru-trac for a 12 bolt varies in pricing by quite a bit. $486/$545 from the big name speed shops without the reluctor ring. Then from a leading rear end company for $620 who lists the reluctor ring as a $100 option for a total of $720 plus shipping.
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

Thanks Injuneer, mine is a 4 series carrier so I'm supposing that the ring gets thicker. Appreciate the clarification.
    Nolan
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I don’t know if a 4-series for a 12-bolt has any direct dimensional relationship with the carriers from a 7.5/7.625” 10-bolt, that would allow you to calculate the width of the ring. I have a Strange 12-bolt with a 4-series HD Eaton posi, and they actually machined the teeth into the carrier, as opposed to adding the iron ring.

LTX Master

Status

Well now I for sure have a can of worms. I have a Moser 12 bolt and it also has a Eaton posi like yours, so mine may be machined in too. I've had the cover off but was inspecting the ring and pinion and honestly didn't pay any attention to the carrier.
    I guess I'm gonna have to tear it down before I make my order.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Take the sensor out and stick your finger in to see if there are even teeth in there. When I bought the Strange, I painted it after it was delivered, and installed it. After it was all bolted up, I went to install the Strange-supplied ABS sensor. It was adjustable for depth, so I stuck my finger in to see how deep it should go, and there were no teeth. They an Eaton carrier without the machined teeth.

They wanted me to send the whole assembly back, and I told them “no”, it’s painted and installed. They told me they would order a new carrier, which takes a month, and told me they would ship the new carrier to a local shop that we both agreed was acceptable. They also said they would guarantee the shop's work. Turned out very well.

Almost sounds like you need to contact Moser and see about them supplying the new carrier with tone ring. They would know where the hole for the sensor mount is located on a rear they supplied.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Eaton w/ machined tone ring.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

Thanks Injuneer for the feedback. The plot is thickening now. i'm gonna call Moser next week.
    Thanks, Nolan