Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Default Spark plug heat range

I have installed Denso DNP-4713 spark plugs from Summit Racing in my engine, which have a heat range of 16. The AC Delco plugs I removed only have a number 14 on the ceramic. I tried to research if this was the heat range reference number but can't find anything in writing. All the plugs I removed have black soot that apparently didn't come clean with spark detonation, so I'm thinking the 16 heat range on the Denso iridium plugs will accomplish this without being too hot for my N/A engine. I went with Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm wires, an upgrade from 7mm wires I removed. Does anyone know of a source I can find the heat range on the AC Delco plugs? I found a chart explaining the heat range differences and 16 seems to be the hottest to safely run in my engine, and Summit Racing references the Denso plugs are compatible to my engine.
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.
    '94 Z28 Arctic White, T-tops, retired.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

The replacement for the stock plugs, in a relatively stock LT1 is an NGK TR55 (or TR55ix iridium). Find an equivalent to that plug in the brand you prefer, if not NGK.

Not all plug manufacturers use the same heat range designations:

https://www.sparkplugs.com/learning-...or-hotter-plug
    Last edited by Injuneer; 12-21-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

I found the Heat Range Cross Reference Chart in that link which shows the Denso plugs and NGK plugs have the equivalent heat range. Thanks for the information Injuneer...I appreciate it.
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ardent_Z28 For This Post:

The Nitrous Outlet Junkie

Status
    Name
    Troy
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

Is your motor mainly stock what all do you have done to it your signature says deletions and mods
    94 Formula "budget build" #thebeaterbird
    10.177 @128.31 on a lil 250 shot
    350, LT1, carb, LE grind cam, th400, 4k stall, ford 8.8 w/ 4.10s

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

It is all stock except the cam...Duration @ .050 intake is 220 & exhaust is 230 with 114 LSA. Beehive valve springs in the heads, so it is slightly more aggressive than stock. AIR/EGR deleted too.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

You're OK w/ stock heat range.

The Nitrous Outlet Junkie

Status
    Name
    Troy
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

Stock heat range
    94 Formula "budget build" #thebeaterbird
    10.177 @128.31 on a lil 250 shot
    350, LT1, carb, LE grind cam, th400, 4k stall, ford 8.8 w/ 4.10s

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent_Z28 View Post
    I found the Heat Range Cross Reference Chart in that link which shows the Denso plugs and NGK plugs have the equivalent heat range. Thanks for the information Injuneer...I appreciate it.
    I would suggest autolite copper cores or ngk copper cores for simple na stuff. never had luck with any fancy plugs on my heads cam or cam only shtuff

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

This is the chart from post #3...Screenshot (149).png
    My Denso plugs (16) are the equivalent heat range as the NGK plugs (5) Injuneer mentioned. I just got the engine back on the K-member yesterday, still gotta ways to go b4 I fire it up. Hopefully these plugs will go 80k-100k miles as advertised cuz my Pacesetter LTs don't make access to 'em very easy.