Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Hybrid View

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Default 3" catalytic converter recommendation

I finished up installing a true dual system from Speed Engineering, but I need to get some cats because:
    1) since I have to get this thing emission tested
    2) the driver side pipe doesn't quite reach the header

Does anyone have recommendations?

I was looking at the Magnaflow spun ones but I'm worried about ground clearance since they aren't flat and they don't have a heat shield

Also I'm pretty disappointed with their technical help line. I tried to get info on their universal cats and they just flat refused, they wanted a car to look up on their application guide, so I finally told him and all they would give me was stock replacement parts

I tried to ask about the 59929 but they wouldn't tell me anything like if it's for Obd2 or later or anything, just kept saying the guide doesn't show that as compatible
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt freak, M6,
    68 Firebird 400, YC 400, 670 heads M4
    14 Fiat 500e
    , 83kW motor, 24kWh 364 V battery

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I ran a pair of Carsound 3" cats in a Y-pipe (which was eventually replaced with true duals. The pic shows them while the Y-pipe was being fabricated at Mufflex. Denny recommended the Carsounds, and the setup passed NJ emissions. All of this was 19 years ago, so I have no idea if they even sell the same cats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    I ran a pair of Carsound 3" cats in a Y-pipe (which was eventually replaced with true duals. The pic shows them while the Y-pipe was being fabricated at Mufflex. Denny recommended the Carsounds, and the setup passed NJ emissions. All of this was 19 years ago, so I have no idea if they even sell the same cats.
    I looked online and couldn't dig up anything on car sounds that wasn't really old, thanks though
    14 Fiat 500e

Pr0jekt Turb0?

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

What is your state's regulation on emissions testing? Usually once a car hits a certain age, it is exempted.
    -Ryan
    93 Z28 M28

Mod List

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28pr0jekt View Post
    What is your state's regulation on emissions testing? Usually once a car hits a certain age, it is exempted.
    Texas in my county requires Obd2 testing on vehicles 96 and newer, so I'm screwed no matter how old my car is
    14 Fiat 500e

Quote Originally Posted by captainofiron View Post
    Texas in my county requires Obd2 testing on vehicles 96 and newer, so I'm screwed no matter how old my car is
    In my experience, OBD2 testing is a easy enough test to pass if the visual aspect is not to stringent. (if it is you failed regardless of what cats you put in) Is the car tuned for turning off all emissions ready lights?
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Car Sound Exhaust owns Magnaflow. Appears the converters are now branded as MagnaFlow.

http://www.marcomuffler.com/magnaflow.html

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/9...r?aces=9577099

California and New York require CARB certified replacement cats. The other states do not.

Federal law says that you cannot relocate the cat(s) from stock, and cannot change the number of cats. Not all states enforce Federal law.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    In my experience, OBD2 testing is a easy enough test to pass if the visual aspect is not to stringent. (if it is you failed regardless of what cats you put in) Is the car tuned for turning off all emissions ready lights?
    I meant to post that there is a two speed idle test in my county as well, the place I have taken it in the past doesnt really do a visual, they just drive it into the bay and plug it in

so right now I am throwing an MIL for EGR flow, pretty sure it was due to my cut out leaking, BUT now that I put in a new exhaust and chunked my homebrew y-pipe, I am hoping its leak free and will no longer throw the MIL

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Car Sound Exhaust owns Magnaflow. Appears the converters are now branded as MagnaFlow.

http://www.marcomuffler.com/magnaflow.html

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/9...r?aces=9577099

California and New York require CARB certified replacement cats. The other states do not.

Federal law says that you cannot relocate the cat(s) from stock, and cannot change the number of cats. Not all states enforce Federal law.
    interesting, well that kind of sucks, after dealing with the Magnaflow tech people I have more than a bad taste in my mouth, I called again asking for specs on the 59929 and got the same legalease and telling me that would not give me any info unless I had an application

in my experience the inspectors dont really care if you have longtubes or moved the cats, as long as you are running cats and the exhaust doesnt smell like raw fuel
    14 Fiat 500e

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

To get the one I linked (3” universal w/ heat shield) I entered 1994- Chevrolet - Camaro - Z28 - 5.7L V8. That looks similar in size and design the the ones I had, but mine did not have the heat shield. I had the passenger side in the stock side dimple for the stock cat. Drivers side was hanging pretty low, but it never hit anything. But I have AS&M single-cat mid-lengths with modified collectors/extensions so they can be run as duals.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.