Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Default Recomended intake sealant?

I finally got around to installing the billet oil pump drive I bought from TubbyFormy 4 years ago and was thinking of using Permatex Ultra Black to seal each end. The sealant I removed was a grey color and somewhat rubbery and made me wonder if there is a better product to use for this purpose. Any suggestions?
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.
    '94 Z28 Arctic White, T-tops, retired.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Permatex The Right Stuff has never let me down. I usually let it cure for 2 or more hours and it's good to go.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Ultra black spooge it on set manifold on it let setup a bit then torque

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

Another vote for the black right stuff. If you get fancy it comes in a pressurized can now and is super easy to use.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

I've used ultra black for years

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

LTX Master

Status

Another vote here for the Ultra Black, it has the highest oil resistance of all. I also use Permashield on the intake ports for extra security, it is fuel and oil resistant. The Permashield is basically the same thing as Hylomar.
    Last edited by JOATMON; 12-18-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JOATMON View Post
    Another vote here for the Ultra Black, it has the highest oil resistance of all. I also use Permashield on the intake ports for extra security, it is fuel and oil resistant. The Permashield is basically the same thing as Hylomar.
    Are you referring to the vacuum ports or the mating surface of the intake and heads? I have FelPro gaskets for the mating surface with the heads I intend to use...that is all the material I cleaned off there. I removed my vacuum lines and fittings to get it cleaned at a machine shop & noticed a sealant on the fittings that I cleaned up. I plan to apply a few coats of red caliper paint when I get the intake back also.
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.

LTX Master

Status

The mounting surface(head to intake manifold ports)
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

The only time I've used anything other then the gasket is if there is any company transfer from the intake to the head. But a LT1 didn't have head to intake passages so just the gasket there and ultra black on the end and spittle way up make a little puddle right where the gasket meets the rail. Set it down level and easy let cure a bit then torque. Chem clean the surface first.

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 8 using Tapatalk

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    The only time I've used anything other then the gasket is if there is any company transfer from the intake to the head. But a LT1 didn't have head to intake passages so just the gasket there and ultra black on the end and spittle way up make a little puddle right where the gasket meets the rail. Set it down level and easy let cure a bit then torque. Chem clean the surface first.

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 8 using Tapatalk
    Those are my sentiments exactly, as well as the procedure I plan to follow. However, I did learn that if I needed this setup back together quickly then I'll consider Permashield since it has a very quick cure time. I really appreciate the input. All my parts and gaskets have arrived and it's time to put 'r back together. Thanks to all of ya'll for the responses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast