Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Yes you can. Im pretty sure that flat rod will slide out it may be still connected to the lock. You might have to wiggle it free. If you get what I'm saying. The three bolts on the bottom latch.

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stormyweather; 11-20-2019 at 05:11 PM.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Do you see the silver tipped, flat blade sticking out of the bottom of the latch? That is the blade the key cylinder rotates to release the latch. Try turning it with a pliers. That may release the latch. If the hole in the latch is worn, allowing the blade to spin freely, without releasing the latch, try inserting a flat screwdriver along the side of the silver tipped blade, and try rotating the screwdriver.

If that fails, removing the three bolts should free the latch assembly from the sheet metal it mounts to. You may need to pull the latch forward to get it off the silver tipped blade. Then lift the hatch and it should raise with the latch mechanism still attached to the hatch. Then you can figure out how to undo the latch mechanism while standing outside the back of the car.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris P. Bacon
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    Yes you can. Im pretty sure that flat rod will slide out it may be still connected to the lock. You might have to wiggle it free. If you get what I'm saying. The three bolts on the bottom latch.

Are you saying to pull that rod out a little bit then try turning it? I can try that tonight.

When I tried turning the rod it was definitely still hooked to something. I was afraid that twisting much harder than you would a key that I could mess it up more. I think pulling the whole latch assembly out will make it easier to mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Do you see the silver tipped, flat blade sticking out of the bottom of the latch? That is the blade the key cylinder rotates to release the latch. Try turning it with a pliers. That may release the latch. If the hole in the latch is worn, allowing the blade to spin freely, without releasing the latch, try inserting a flat screwdriver along the side of the silver tipped blade, and try rotating the screwdriver.

If that fails, removing the three bolts should free the latch assembly from the sheet metal it mounts to. You may need to pull the latch forward to get it off the silver tipped blade. Then lift the hatch and it should raise with the latch mechanism still attached to the hatch. Then you can figure out how to undo the latch mechanism while standing outside the back of the car.
    I grabbed that by hand and it would not turn. With pliers it would not turn either. I can try really twisting but I definitely twisted harder than you would a key.

The rod seems a little crooked to me, like it's not sticking straight out. I wonder if something hit it causing it to get jammed? From what I remember when it worked you only turn the key 90 or 180 degrees before it unlatches. The key now spins at least 3/4 of the way around before you feel anything, and still doesn't unlatch.

I will unbolt the latch striker from the hatch so I can open the hatch, then worry about getting the latch and key cylinder free. I imagine those parts wouldn't be too bad to find.

'94 Formula 6spd
    If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Yeah unbolt that sucker then deal with it.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stormyweather For This Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123