Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    brian stracinski
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Default Delaware Inspections/Emissions

I'm foreseeing some issues getting my car inspected after i moved to DE but would like some input. In PA i had a 'classic' car tag which means they didnt do emissions, just basic stuff. Apparently in DE 'classic' tags aren't a thing, only 'antique' which i dont qualify for (1996 impala).

The car has no cats or AIR pump but everything is programmed out so it wont throw any codes. Does anyone know how strict they are on any type of visual inspection for emission stuff? I'll be heading over in a few week to try and sneak it through but was wondering if anyone had some insight.
    1996 Impala SS 383/T56

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

Sice your car is a 96 with obd 2 they will plug into your obd port and check for codes so you should be good there.
    They do check under your hood and under car with a mirror. Under hood you will be ok since most of them don't know what they are looking at. You may want to band clamp a cat into your exhaust for the under car visual then remove it after inspection.
    Just for reference I have a 95 formula with long tubes off road y, air and egr delete.
    I band clamped a 10 inch bullet cat into my straight pipe and Sahara 54 flashed a safe tune for inspection for me. I had to go thru the sniffer test and I passed with flying colors.
    If you go that route you could borrow my cat to get through inspection so you won't have to buy one.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
    1995 FORMULA M6

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle
    1991 Z-28, 355, HSR, M6--2005 CTS-V (SOLD)--1994 Impala SS 6 Speed Swap--Have all blocks covered.

Don't always rely on them "not knowing"!! I had one that was retired GM tech from a local dealer for like 35 years!

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

It probably didn't hurt I went on a Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend....

1995 FORMULA M6

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    brian stracinski
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by 95 blackbird View Post
    Sice your car is a 96 with obd 2 they will plug into your obd port and check for codes so you should be good there.
    They do check under your hood and under car with a mirror. Under hood you will be ok since most of them don't know what they are looking at. You may want to band clamp a cat into your exhaust for the under car visual then remove it after inspection.
    Just for reference I have a 95 formula with long tubes off road y, air and egr delete.
    I band clamped a 10 inch bullet cat into my straight pipe and Sahara 54 flashed a safe tune for inspection for me. I had to go thru the sniffer test and I passed with flying colors.
    If you go that route you could borrow my cat to get through inspection so you won't have to buy one.

Not a lot of good news here. I have the AIR pump delete which is obvious if you know what to look for. More importantly i have a custom bent 3in stainless exhaust w/o converters. The previous owner had it done and i can only imagine it was a couple grand at least. It's really nice and i'd hate to have to cut it up just to add 2 converters that i would simply remove later. I may have to do that assuming i want to drive it though.
    1996 Impala SS 383/T56

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle
    1991 Z-28, 355, HSR, M6--2005 CTS-V (SOLD)--1994 Impala SS 6 Speed Swap--Have all blocks covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian SS View Post
    Not a lot of good news here. I have the AIR pump delete which is obvious if you know what to look for. More importantly i have a custom bent 3in stainless exhaust w/o converters. The previous owner had it done and i can only imagine it was a couple grand at least. It's really nice and i'd hate to have to cut it up just to add 2 converters that i would simply remove later. I may have to do that assuming i want to drive it though.
    Where are you located? I am in Dover, De. I have a 94 SS with a 6 speed. I don't have an air pump, deleted all that before I got inspected and had no probs, but I do have cats.

Mike

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    brian stracinski
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by 6 speed impy View Post
    Where are you located? I am in Dover, De. I have a 94 SS with a 6 speed. I don't have an air pump, deleted all that before I got inspected and had no probs, but I do have cats.

Mike
    I'm in Middletown. I think the air pump will probably be ok since unless you specifically know it was supposed to be there, it doesn't look like anything is missing. The cats on the other hand are pretty obvious especially with 3 inch of kinda shiny stainless steel. There isn't anything that even looks like a converter, just straight into the mufflers from the headers.
    1996 Impala SS 383/T56

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 6 speed impy View Post

Mike
    If the 94 Impala SS is OBD-1 like the F-Bodies, you can delete the entire AIR system and not get a code, as long as there is a good fuse for the AIR pump relay. In 96 OBD-2 they added additional diagnostics to the PCM that cycle the AIR pump and set codes if no air flow is detected via the O2 sensors.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    brian stracinski
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    If the 94 Impala SS is OBD-1 like the F-Bodies, you can delete the entire AIR system and not get a code, as long as there is a good fuse for the AIR pump relay. In 96 OBD-2 they added additional diagnostics to the PCM that cycle the AIR pump and set codes if no air flow is detected via the O2 sensors.
    It's OBDII and the air pump system is gone. It was done the right way so it doesn't throw any codes or anything. When they do the plug/port i think it'll be fine. What i think i'll do is take it over and let them tell me what i'm missing. I can get pricing on the cheapest cats i can find and have them added but removable so i can put the straight pipe back in.
    1996 Impala SS 383/T56