Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    brian stracinski
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Default TT 2's for sale but questions 1st

I'll be selling a set of 17x9 and 17x11 polished TT2's sometime in the near future but had a couple questions about fitment. I had them on my 96 Impala but they were always the wrong size (the rears rubbed quite a bit). They were on the car when i bought it so i don't know the actual backspace. I asked American Racing if there was a number on the wheel itself to tell me the size but they said no. I havent owned an F body in a while but i remember 17x11 fitting on the rear so im wondering if they are the Fbody offset that someone just stuck on the Impala. So my question.... Is there an accurate way to measure backspace? What size wheel fits on the Fbody? It will help to know when selling to let people know what they fit.
    1996 Impala SS 383/T56

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Put the wheel front face down on the ground. Put a straight edge across the back of the full diameter of the rim. Measure the distance from the bottom of the straight edge to the hub mounting surface. That is the backspace.

The limit for rear wheel backspace on a 4th Gen F-Body is 8.0”. Even that may require trimming the bump stop brackets, hammering the inner fender liners, and possibly re-centering the chassis side-to-side over the rear axle assembly, with an adjustable panhard rod.

What is the bolt circle on the Impala. F-Body is 5 x 4.75” (120.65mm).
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    brian stracinski
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Put the wheel front face down on the ground. Put a straight edge across the back of the full diameter of the rim. Measure the distance from the bottom of the straight edge to the hub mounting surface. That is the backspace.

The limit for rear wheel backspace on a 4th Gen F-Body is 8.0”. Even that may require trimming the bump stop brackets, hammering the inner fender liners, and possibly re-centering the chassis side-to-side over the rear axle assembly, with an adjustable panhard rod.

What is the bolt circle on the Impala. F-Body is 5 x 4.75” (120.65mm).
    Impala is 5x5 so i guess they're not F-body wheels. I wonder if these are custom order or something. 11in wide wheels on an Impala is pretty unusual.
    1996 Impala SS 383/T56

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian SS View Post
    Impala is 5x5 so i guess they're not F-body wheels. I wonder if these are custom order or something. 11in wide wheels on an Impala is pretty unusual.
    not if someone had the rear actually centered and mini tubbed. seen it on the impala forums a few times

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    brian stracinski
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    not if someone had the rear actually centered and mini tubbed. seen it on the impala forums a few times

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Its definitely not tubbed but i dont know about centered. The back space looks like 6in for the rears (11in wide) and 5.5 in the front. I'll be posting them up for sale in a few places soon.
    1996 Impala SS 383/T56